Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recipe Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
BeerSlinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe Suggestions

Hi,

I'm looking for a recipe but I don't know what I'm looking for. Its an all grain stout that has a chocolate roasted flavor to it. Arcadia calls it a starboard ale but its a stronger SA then the cream stout with a roasted flavor......

Any Ideas what I'm looking for? I need to start saving recipes but they are a dime a dozen....Also include some specific instructions for cooking it......I have a feeling I screwed up my first attempt at sparaging.....I cooked it at 170 for two hours because I didn't know what I was doing......I'm leaving the beer for a month before I bottle so the hops should have time to flavor the mix.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need to read a little more on how to brew. Check out the beginners section.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I clicked on "Find More Posts by BeerSlinger". To do that, you click on the person's user name and then select that option. I think you really need to spend more time reading.

May I suggest www.howtobrew.com?

Also though, as you say, recipes are a dime a dozen. If you want something stronger than Starboard Ale, why not just brew Starboard Ale and add a couple extra pounds of malt (or extract). Or toss in a pound of dextrose.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Come to find out what i was looking for was an oatmeal stout. I think what I am most attracted to is the chocolate malt because a beer I just did has many of the same properties that I wanted.

Frankly I'm sick of reading because thats all I've done...I spend 90% of time just reading on the subject and not doing it.........Frankly I'm about to burn this parpazian book and dance around it because I find it hopelessly confusing when it doesn't need to be.........Its overall long on explanation and short on facts......I think that I have relied on it to long and it about time for it to stop because its not a good book.......

I'm also aware that increasing the Malt would increase the overall density......I geared most of my recipes with this in mind......I only said that recipes were a dime a dozen because there are so many of them. Franky i've never had most of the beer, wine, mead or sake out there because all I have done is store bought beer.....

Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

See, but the thing about reading books that other people have read is that it gives everyone a common language from which to communicate to others. Or, to put it more simply, it helps people sound less ignorant.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSlinger
Come to find out what i was looking for was an oatmeal stout. I think what I am most attracted to is the chocolate malt because a beer I just did has many of the same properties that I wanted.
So you want to make an oatmeal stout? How many gallons? Extract, extract and steeping grains, partial mash or all grain? Post what you are looking for and someone here can help you.

I have the same feeling about Papazian - I didn't understand his explanation of brewing processes. Try John Palmer's How to Brew - that was easy for me to comprehend.

www.howtobrew.com

If your tired of reading, dive in and do some brewing. Experience is a great teacher.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #7
tst4echo
Recipes 

You can never go wrong with a good extract kit to get things going and get your feet wet. I found that I really couldn't relate to much of the written word until after I brewed and drank my first batch. My first batch was a nice amber Ale extract kit, and shortly there after an oatmeal stout which was a mini mash kit. Honestly just read some of the kit explanations of what the end product should be like and take the plunge. Then you will be hooked as I have been for several years now.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One other suggestion - find a local homebrew club or brewer who will help you. I belong to a brewing club and those guys were great about answering questions when I started brewing. I watched two of those guys brew 20 gallons one day and then I understood the process enough to do it on my own.

We had two new brewers at our last group brew. Both said that it was very informative.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
See, but the thing about reading books that other people have read is that it gives everyone a common language from which to communicate to others. Or, to put it more simply, it helps people sound less ignorant.
I would agree with that......I just have a problem with my memory....I'm good at processes and not good at facts.........I'll remember doing a beer but forget the ingredients......

Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
BeerSlinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbronze
So you want to make an oatmeal stout? How many gallons? Extract, extract and steeping grains, partial mash or all grain? Post what you are looking for and someone here can help you.

I have the same feeling about Papazian - I didn't understand his explanation of brewing processes. Try John Palmer's How to Brew - that was easy for me to comprehend.

www.howtobrew.com

If your tired of reading, dive in and do some brewing. Experience is a great teacher.
I've found a recipe.....I just posted this because I was trying to fid out the name because I couldn't remember........amount......4 gallons work better for me........I don't know what others do but they wor best in the corey kegs.......

I agree that experience is a good teacher......I remember that there is a real gap between reading and doing.......

Quick Reply