Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > recipe revision help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
ski36t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default recipe revision help please

I tried a Magic Hat Circus Boy Hefe Clone with the following recipe. I did a side by side comparison yesterday and I wasn't close. Well is wasn't that bad, but significantly off.

I used

7 lbs wheat malt
7 lbs 2-row
(been having efficiency problems, thats why the high grain bill)

Magnum for bittering
Amarillo @ 15 and 5

The OG was 1.055. A little higher than I wanted but I decided to go for it. I also mashed little higher than I wanted to so mine has a little bit more body.

I used Wyeast 1010 and fermented around 70 degrees.

They main difference was my beer didn't have that "tangyness" to it. My beer was also much ligher (in color) than the circus boy, but I don't mind that. It is that tangyness that I really like about this beer and want to know how to emulate.

Did I use the wrong yeast? Forget an ingredient?

Up Next: thinking another Hefe
Primary 1: empty
Secondary 1: Fat Tire Clone
Secondary 2: Cider experiment
Kegged: #9, Circus Boy Hefe Clone,
Bottled: CBC Nut Brown Clone, SN Pale Ale Clone, , Two Beagle Dry Stout, Mill Run Stout (first AG), Belgian Tripel
Aging: Hennepin Clone, Blue Ridge Mountain Cider, Maple Syrup Mead
Come and Gone: Nut Brown Ale, Old Man Winter Ale, American Premium Lager, California Ginger Steam Beer, Bavarian Weizenbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Never had the beer, but based on your description I'd say it's probably the yeast. Maybe one of the more phenolic/estery German wheat yeasts (3056, 3068, 3333) would do the trick?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't had the beer, but in a traditional Hefe the medium to high levels of carbonation introduce an acidic component so keep that in mind as well.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
ski36t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
I haven't had the beer, but in a traditional Hefe the medium to high levels of carbonation introduce an acidic component so keep that in mind as well.
I have it kegged and force carbonated at around 2.4 volumes. Wouldn't this be high enough?

Bottled: CBC Nut Brown Clone, SN Pale Ale Clone, , Two Beagle Dry Stout, Mill Run Stout (first AG), Belgian Tripel
Come and Gone: Nut Brown Ale, Old Man Winter Ale, American Premium Lager, California Ginger Steam Beer, Bavarian Weizenbier

Old 06-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
ski36t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Never had the beer, but based on your description I'd say it's probably the yeast. Maybe one of the more phenolic/estery German wheat yeasts (3056, 3068, 3333) would do the trick?
After looking up the yeast profiles. I think 3333 will do the trick. I have used 3068 before and I don't think that would work well for what I am going for. I am not really sure why I went with 1010 in the first place...seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think the "tangyness" as I decribed it may also be described as tart, which the 3333 yeast is described as in its taste profile.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Quick Reply