The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recipe Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
zeppman301
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recipe Questions

Hey,
So I have an Oktoberfest that I just brewed, cracked it open last night and it was amazing. I brewed it from extracts and I have been poking around the internet trying to find a way to convert the extract side of the recipe into an all grain recipe. I was wondering if this is more an 'art' than a science or if anyone knows any hard and fast rules for converting DME and LME into grain proportions. I used 1 can (3.3lbs) of Munton's Amber LME, and 2 bags (1lb each) of Munton's Light DME. So far I haven't found any way to convert these into specific grains to be used in a mash. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Extract Conversion

The hard part will be converting your amber malt. Try checking with Munton's to see if you can get their malt profile. Looking at that, you should be able to make a good conversion.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yeah, converting the Amber is going to be tough. Muntons has never responded to my questions about what's in the stuff, much less what the proportions are.

You can kind of guess, though. Briess's Amber extract, for example, is mashed with 2-row Base Malt, Caramel Malt 60L, and Munich Malt. How much of each? Guesswork. I'd say 80% base malt, 10% Caramel 60L and 10% Munich. But that's nothing to bank on.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
zeppman301
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. As far as the amber I was a bit worried that was going to be the answer. I understand conceptually that the light DME is in the recipe as the 'backbone' of the alcohol content, and that the amber extract was more for flavor and color, so it was more likely to be a combination. Thanks for the tips though.

Quick Reply