Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recipe Help - Honey Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Bottle with honey...you can get a nice initial flavor and aroma from it.

To get the standard 2.5 vols carb you want to use 3 tablespoons of honey PER GALLON. This is 1.5 ounces or about 63 grams. So for a 5 gallon batch you would use 7.5 ounces of honey or 15 tablespoons (slightly under a cup...liquid). I personally use 4 per gallon as I like them slightly more carbed.

They will take slightly longer to carb...I use 16oz bottles and found 4 weeks to be about right.

It works...trust me. In addition to honey malt you can really make honey the dominant flavor. Or with bottling, you can use less and add another grain to get some more complexity in your beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
spearl
Recipes 

I will be doing a honey wheat in a few weeks and I want to use honey not honey malt. Like previously mentioned in this thread I to read about pasteurizing the honey by diluting it in water to approx. the same O.G. as your wort and holding it at 170'ish deg for an hour or so. Ten adding it dying the height of primary fermentation. Has any one done this before? Just looking for tips/tricks/lessons learned. What does it take to make a CO2 blanket?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I can't imagine it will retain any of the honey flavor at all. It *should* just ferment out into pure alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

We just sampled our honey wheat and we added #3 clover honey at flameout. It has been in the bottle for 2 weeks and sampled a couple last night. Well carbonated with a nice dense tan head, good lacing and pleasant honey aroma, mild, not over powering. Needs a little more conditioning time as it was a little sweet with a stronger honey flavor than we anticipated.

OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.011. Depending on how it tastes in a couple more weeks we may tweak the hop additions for a little more balance but so far very pleased with the results.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 05-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Chamomile is what you want to use for a strong honey flavor. 1oz @ 5 mins boil for 5 gallons is what I do.

http://www.greatfermentations.com/Ch...uctinfo/GF158/

Old 08-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
spearl
Recipes 

I have been drinking my honey wheat for a couple of weeks now. Turned out great! I used 1lb of honey for a 5 gal batch. It is a bit strong on the honey flavor but I like it. I would probably ease back to .5-.75 lb to make it meet more peoples tastes next time. I did pasteurize the honey before I used it.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
jjbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts
Bottle with honey...you can get a nice initial flavor and aroma from it.

To get the standard 2.5 vols carb you want to use 3 tablespoons of honey PER GALLON. This is 1.5 ounces or about 63 grams. So for a 5 gallon batch you would use 7.5 ounces of honey or 15 tablespoons (slightly under a cup...liquid). I personally use 4 per gallon as I like them slightly more carbed.

They will take slightly longer to carb...I use 16oz bottles and found 4 weeks to be about right.

It works...trust me. In addition to honey malt you can really make honey the dominant flavor. Or with bottling, you can use less and add another grain to get some more complexity in your beer
Do you dilute the honey in warm water? Otherwise, why won't the honey just accumulate and stay on the bottom of the bottling bucket? Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrewer View Post
Do you dilute the honey in warm water? Otherwise, why won't the honey just accumulate and stay on the bottom of the bottling bucket? Thanks.
Yes...I use a cup of water and add the honey over the stove for about 2 minutes, then I swirl like crazy and add it to my bottling bucket, rack beer immediately and bottle

Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckBrauer View Post
Ok so I have a ton of questions for this one. I will try to ask as few as necessary.
my wife loves honey'd beer. honey wheat in the summer, honey brown in the autumn and mad elf in the winter. how did everything turn out and what was your final recipe? would like to do this next spring with half my batch of american wheat.
Ben

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'd go 50/50 on the partial mash.

I just did a honey lemon wheat that turned out fantastic. It was 50/50 two row and wheat. I think the trick was splitting the wheat, half white wheat and half german light wheat. Plus a pound of flaked wheat.

Quick Reply