Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it really this simple?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
seanybubbles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make up a checklist. It makes the brew session go alot smoother and you don't forget anything then. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanybubbles
Make up a checklist. It makes the brew session go alot smoother and you don't forget anything then. Good luck!
That would help. As soon as I finished a step, I ran through the next in my head. Before doing anything with the pumps, I talked myself through where each source was coming from and what the destination was. Everything worked out yesterday after figuring out the pumps.

I kept reading that people pump too fast when recirculating the mash and I think that slowed me down as I barely had the pump open and it was enough to actually move the liquid the distance and height I needed to. I also figured out that if I could see the end of the tubing back at the top of the mash, rather than have it submerged, I could positively tell whether or not things were flowing.

The tip I read about having a pitcher at all times to collect wort and liquid when primping the pumps was invaluable.

To clean everything, I had hot PBW flowing through two vessels, two pumps, and through the HERMS coil all in one continuous loop while u scooped the rest of the grain out of the mash tun. That took a minute to plan the hose routes.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on the checklist. I made up a brew session worksheet to record temps, water treatment, various steps along the way. For me, having blanks to record certain data serves as a reminder to do it and it's good reference if you want to repeat that brew.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkster
+1 on the checklist. I made up a brew session worksheet to record temps, water treatment, various steps along the way. For me, having blanks to record certain data serves as a reminder to do it and it's good reference if you want to repeat that brew.
Can I get a copy of that? No need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Here is a slightly outdated version of mine...

http://db.tt/tlc3SZfk

Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #26
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Can I get a copy of that? No need to reinvent the wheel.
Here it is - parts may not make much sense to others, but it worked for me. It didn't convert very well from Excel, but at least you get an idea. These types of things are probably best developed by the person who will use them.....
brewsession.jpg  

Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

It really is that simple. I remember for the first few AG brewdays I kept thinking I was forgetting something. Nope. It was really that simple! It's not really a difficult process, just a different one.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #28
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you did fine. We all stressed on our first AG. That checklist works for me. I'm fine now after 5 brews. Only had problems on first one.

Quick Reply