Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it really this simple?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
bbrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With the wort that will be in your herms coil and plumbing in between I would run the 1.5-2qt/lb. That will help keep things from getting gummed up in your MLT. Sounds like you are set to have a great time! Brew on!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
gunmetal
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

My first run on my new system was not too bad other than breaking my hydrometer and not being able to take an O.G. reading. After a couple pints, I know it was close to the mark. The hardest part for me was figuring what strike temp the water needed to be in order to hit my mash target temp. With your herms system, you will be able to adjust that however. I am still working out strike temps with different grain amounts. I also needed to scale up the recipes to account for my brewhouse efficiency. My first two batches were only 4.5 galllons. A simple batch sparge as you are doing is also the best way to go. I actually do two seperate sparges to double wash the grain. It does take a little longer to do it this way, I remember someone saying that it only adds two or three points in efficiency, but I still do it.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrim
With the wort that will be in your herms coil and plumbing in between I would run the 1.5-2qt/lb. That will help keep things from getting gummed up in your MLT. Sounds like you are set to have a great time! Brew on!
That's what I was thinking. Saw this on some YouTube videos with HERMS/RIMS systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmetal
My first run on my new system was not too bad other than breaking my hydrometer and not being able to take an O.G. reading. After a couple pints, I know it was close to the mark. The hardest part for me was figuring what strike temp the water needed to be in order to hit my mash target temp. With your herms system, you will be able to adjust that however. I am still working out strike temps with different grain amounts. I also needed to scale up the recipes to account for my brewhouse efficiency. My first two batches were only 4.5 galllons. A simple batch sparge as you are doing is also the best way to go. I actually do two seperate sparges to double wash the grain. It does take a little longer to do it this way, I remember someone saying that it only adds two or three points in efficiency, but I still do it.
I figured I would get the strike water up to temp and them pump it through the HERMS coil if I lose more than expected from the cold MLT.

I've seen some people who only have the capacity to run one heating element at a time actually heat the strike water with the HERMS coil alone as the HLT heats up.

Being able to run both 5500w elements on 240 should speed things up considerably.

What I need to learn, and it will happen over time, is the volumes. Strike water seems easy, but I don't know my boil off rate, and I need to read up on the math on calculating efficiency, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can make this as simple or as complicated as yoiu wish. The people that obsess over every detail are the ones that are most likely to post here frequently. That doesn't mean they are the majority ( doesn't mean they aren't, either).

Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer
You can make this as simple or as complicated as yoiu wish. The people that obsess over every detail are the ones that are most likely to post here frequently. That doesn't mean they are the majority ( doesn't mean they aren't, either).
The main focus is great beer. Repeatability is next and why I went with a recirculating, temp controlled mash. If I can do consistent mash and fermentation temps, that's a big jump from how I have been brewing.

I do make starters, but then we're getting into pitching rates, which gets into an entire different ball game/park.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1155 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

I read through a good portion of your system build just now and am still super jealous. You should have no problem making great beer with your setup. If I were you I would find a fairly simple mid-gravity recipe to brew for your maiden voyage. Have a written plan lined up and have some sort of plan B for major steps in case something doesn't go as planned so you aren't stressed. Let us know how it goes and post pics or it didn't happen!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I read through a good portion of your system build just now and am still super jealous. You should have no problem making great beer with your setup. If I were you I would find a fairly simple mid-gravity recipe to brew for your maiden voyage. Have a written plan lined up and have some sort of plan B for major steps in case something doesn't go as planned so you aren't stressed. Let us know how it goes and post pics or it didn't happen!
I figured a 10 gallon batch of Centennial Blonde wouldn't be too expensive if it ends up more effed up than a football bat. It's a beer we've liked when I brewed either extract or partial mash, so I'm hopful that things work out and something close results, but as long as I get through the process without any catastrophic failures, like death, I'll be happy.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
jtkratzer

Recipes 

It was that simple. I learned a few things along the way about my system, but the process was straight forward. I'm pumped about tasting this beer in a few weeks.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Exactly! I've made some "mistakes" with some of my brews over the years like forgetting to raise to MO temp, losing some wort due to an inadvertent open valve, reaching into a fermenting bucket with a minimally sanitized arm, forgetting the Irish Moss, hop addition mixups, etc, etc. All turned out to be beer and drank & pee'd just fine! I don't worry about efficiency as long as it's predictable had I hit my calcs pretty closely. After all, it ain't goin' to the moon (but it IS life support)!!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkster View Post
Exactly! I've made some "mistakes" with some of my brews over the years like forgetting to raise to MO temp, losing some wort due to an inadvertent open valve, reaching into a fermenting bucket with a minimally sanitized arm, forgetting the Irish Moss, hop addition mixups, etc, etc. All turned out to be beer and drank & pee'd just fine! I don't worry about efficiency as long as it's predictable had I hit my calcs pretty closely. After all, it ain't goin' to the moon (but it IS life support)!!
Yesterday was fun. I didn't stress over it. It was a cheap batch of beer to learn on. It was a big jump from doing mostly extract to my first all grain and first full run through on the electric HERMS, but it was a good time. I got beer, and it's churning away like a lava lamp right now. I did do a water content test, I didn't do a pH test, or iodine test. Just brewed beer.

I'll take better notes and things will go smoother and faster next time now that I learned a few tricks with the pumps and temps.

Quick Reply