Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Real honey vs honey malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
maplemontbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Real honey vs honey malt

Would imagine that honey malt would be much easier to use in my heheweizen than real honey, but will I get the same flavor?

Kentucky Ebrewer. Hefeweizen is my first love!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Yes...honey malt is easier. Real honey is difficult to have come through in certain situations and will many styles

Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
emprbasist
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just use the honey malt sparingly. It is ultra sweet and not fermentable, it can be overpowering. I use it in a blonde ale and a half pound is plenty in a 5 gallon batch in my recipe. But give it a shot and see if you like it.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have not used the honey malt but it is difficult to get the flavor from the real honey as it is highly fermentable and the aroma is fairly volatile. Check around the site for various methods to achieve the desired results.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I agree. If you want honey flavor, use Honey malt, usually 1/2 lb per 5G batch. 1 lb absolute max, and only if you really like a sweet honey flavor. Honey malt is usually mashed with a base malt, although you can steep it and get some of the honey flavor out.
'Real honey' ferments almost completely, drying out your batch similar to an equivalent amount of table sugar. 1lb. usually adds 8 points to the OG in a 5G batch. If you want honey flavor from 'real honey', you need to add it late in fermentation, or even at bottling time.

Primary: December Marzen
Cold Conditioning: Black Friday Vienna,Ben's Doublealt
Bottle conditioning: Jim's Altbier
Drinking: Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Waldo Lake Amber, Loghouse Honey Porter, Labor Day Irish,Apricot moon, Ryecentennial PA,Caribou Slobber, La Fin de L'Annee, , Das Terminator Dopplebock, several others

Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
McAle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used honey malt twice recently. The first was in an amber ale; used half a pound of honey malt plus I added a pound of raw honey at flame out. The beer had a sweet finish but not overpowering. The other was in a honey porter. I used a pound of honey malt and primed the keg with 4.5 oz of real honey and there is hardly any honey sweetness to it at all. However, I think part of the problem was that I thought I was using EKG hops at 5% but it was actually 7.2%. The hop bitterness was a little more than I had planned for. Since I'm rambling on…the local brew pub (Dragonmead) makes a honey porter that has a very pronounced honey finish. They say they add their honey at 10 minutes left in the boil. They didn't say how much they use though. I hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAle View Post
I've used honey malt twice recently. The first was in an amber ale; used half a pound of honey malt plus I added a pound of raw honey at flame out. The beer had a sweet finish but not overpowering. The other was in a honey porter. I used a pound of honey malt and primed the keg with 4.5 oz of real honey and there is hardly any honey sweetness to it at all. However, I think part of the problem was that I thought I was using EKG hops at 5% but it was actually 7.2%. The hop bitterness was a little more than I had planned for. Since I'm rambling on…the local brew pub (Dragonmead) makes a honey porter that has a very pronounced honey finish. They say they add their honey at 10 minutes left in the boil. They didn't say how much they use though. I hope this helps.
Priming with honey only really comes through in very light beers, like a pale wheat. A porter will cover it up everytime. At least this is what I have found.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a brew budddy that also uses honey. Says the honey flavor will often come up after prolonged aging. Nort sure if the honey flavor is developing, or the hops are fading.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
maplemontbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback!!

Kentucky Ebrewer. Hefeweizen is my first love!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
roastquake
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
I have a brew budddy that also uses honey. Says the honey flavor will often come up after prolonged aging. Nort sure if the honey flavor is developing, or the hops are fading.
This is why I'm reluctant to try something like the White House Honey Porter. All it does is lighten the body of the beer, and with honey being so expensive, why not just use a cheap white sugar.

I've never been able to recreate it, but I get honey flavors from some German lagers that are "pure" and I've heard that is a character of all German malts. I'm not an expert, so don't quote me on it, maybe just look into that.

I brewed my fist Pils (and first true lager) a month ago, and I'm excited to see if honey comes through at all. wont be for a few months though

Quick Reply