Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ready to try AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
DrunkenSailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Ready to try AG?

Ok. I've brewed of a couple of extract beers and I would like to move onto the wonderful world of AG. I have been reading around on the site and getting some idea as to what is invloved but was wandering if anyone had a recommendation for a book or video that would be useful in describing the process start to finish and the equipment required? Also what is a good first beer, if it matters? Thanks for any input and/or advice. I would like to be gathering the eqiupment over the next couple of days so I can be brewing this weekend if possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Best site so far to get you started in all-grain I've found yet.

Cruisenews

And ounce you get started check out the wiki.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
New2HomeBrew
Recipes 

You can check out brewing videos at http://www.freebrewingvideos.com/

John Palmers first edition book is free on-line athttp://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

Both are good resources. I just brewed my first all grain this past weekend. It was quite a bit more challenging than brewing extract, but it was a more satisfying feeling to know that I can make beer from the base ingredients.

Good Luck!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
DrunkenSailor

Recipes 

Thanks. I'll check those out.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sause, that first link looks really good.

I know for new brewers like me, the thought of going AG seems a bit intimidating, so this link helps out a lot. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can also check out my all grain video in the link below. I'm going to make another one that is a bit more detailed for a non-AG brewer. My mindset during the previous one was more about giving other all grainers a little insight into someone elses process.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
brewitnow

Recipes 

Making the jump to AG, as I will do soon, used to seem like stepping into some mystical world. Thanks in large part to the people on this site, I feel ready to try it out. Can't wait until my 10-gal cooler arrives so I can convert it. Thanks for this post and the many others which have helped me prepare.

"I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: empty like Bush's head.
Secondary: also empty
Conditioning: Eurotrash ale
Drinking: Simi Cider; Home Rule Hefe
Coming Attractions: DC High Property Tax Bitter; Old Throbbinghead

Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well, some guys start out all grain...so with a few extracts under your belt, I'd say 'Yes, do it!'.

the palmer book is highly recommended.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Don't be intimidated by all grain. It is very easy to do and you can't even contaminate it as you still have to do the boil afterwards.

Think of it as making tea. Granny used to put the tea bag in her cup (lauter/mash tun) pour hot water (170-175) over the teabag (crushed malts) and let it steap (for one hour) she stired occasionally to get the water to flow through the bag (sparging) then when satisfied that the aromatics and flavonoids (starches converted to sugers then sparged to wash them from the grains) were transfered she would pull the tea bag out and drank her tea. (transfer from mashtun to brew pot.

As you can easily see it is like making tea. I have not viewed the videos mentioned, but watch the video and when you do your mash just remember it is tea.

I just did my first all grain brew today. It is also the second brew I have ever done my first was 6 days ago. The guy at the LHBS nearly refused to sell me the grain bill for a tapist ale the first time through so I relented and bought an extract kit. That is like making a can of soup!

Admittedly I have done a lot of canning and home preservation in my life and that may give me a leg up as I understand sanitation and what not, but in the end. Beer is simple to make.

Read up on the mashing process, then watch the video. After the video make a cup of tea and think of how it relates to the mashing process you are studying and it will help you see how easy it is and in doing so give you confidence.

There is a lot of science and chemistry involved in modern brewing, but you don't need to know much of any of that to make great beer.

I racked my first batch which was a cream ale to the secondary tonight. Took a little sampler for a taste. Of course it still is a bit green and all, but right away I noticed the flavor was very pleasent except for the heavy alcohol overtones. Why are they there on a low grav ale? Simple I screwed up and let it ferment at 72* instead of getting it cooled down to 67-68* where I should have.

Okay the point of that is live and learn. Now I know why it is important to stay in the lower part of the yeasts fermentation range.

Have confidence in yourselves and remember it is just making tea only you want 6 gallons of sweet wort not a cup of Earl Grey

Good Brewing - Robar

Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
DrunkenSailor

Recipes 

Robar,
Great "summary". I had the same problem with the LHBS, they "refused" to sell me the goods to go into AG. So I bought a couple of extract kits. But my heart is definately into learning and brewing from "scratch". Hope to get to it this weekend.

Quick Reply