Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Re-used Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
thebull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Re-used Yeast

I have read plenty about this topic, however, as I reclaimed my yeast from the primary fermenter it looks different than I expected. The quart bottle of yeast/trub has four distinct layers. Top to bottom is a foam layer, a rather dark brown layer, a large merky layer, and what I think is the yeast layer on the bottom. The yeast is about 1/2 inch deep, while the two top ones are quit thin. The middle layer is three inches deep and I expect that is the trub.

What should I do at this point? I have placed the jar in the fridge since I will not be using the yeast for five or six days. I do plan to make a starter when I brew. What part of the contents should I put in the starter?

The Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
jager
Recipes 

my previous advise was based on the yeast container had been placed in the refrigerator for a couple days.
If you wait a couple days after its been in the frig you'll easily see the yeast.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
thebull

Recipes 

It was just placed in the fridge when I posted this inquire. I'll follow your advise.
Thanks,

Old 03-29-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I believe the yeast is the top layer. At least it is in the secondary.

But, I just pour the whole bunch into the starter. All that gunk didn't hurt the last beer. And the last batch had 10 times as much total. So the second batch will have 11 times as much. Big hoo-hoo.

Decanting is just dumping beer. It doesn't do anything about infections, which is the most critical thing. Any infections will be all through it.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The yeast is the milky top layer.

I take two 1 quart canning jars, pour the culture from the primary into one, top with boiled and cooled water, swirl, and let stand for 10 minutes. Then pour off the top yeast in suspension into the other jar and repeat the process until most of the trub is gone. I cap and put into the fridge. Clearly, sanitation is paramount.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you're just bottling trub.

You should learn to wash it for better results.

Quick Reply