The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Re-mill old grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Re-mill old grain?

I bought a bunch of pre-milled grain that I was planning on suing for a 5 different batch weekend spree back over thanksgiving. For varied reasons I was only able to get 2 of the 5 done.
I have seom time coming up and want to use these. THey have been stored in the plastic buckets and some smaller quanities in ziploc bags. For Xmas (through gift certs) I got a barley crusher. Would it "freshen-up" the old grain to re-mill it? Or should I just brew on...

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Kilgore_Trout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've used grain a month+ after milling with no issues, so I wouldn't be super worried about it. If the crush is bad a re-mill wouldn't hurt, but if it's already well crushed I'd be worried about overdoing it.

If it was a bad crush (like most online orders are) then go for it, if not don't worry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply