Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Raw white wheat, what is potential gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
bighorn_brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Raw white wheat, what is potential gravity?

I made up an off the cuff beer today, took hydrometer reading but wort was hot and I want to plug some numbers into I brewmaster to see if my reading was way off.

What is the potential of Washington state white wheat, raw, not malted.

Is it near wheat malt? I used 14 lbs of great western 2 row, mashed at 150 F, and had 8 lbs of raw wheat, mashed for 60 minutes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I could be wrong here, but I believe you would need to do a protein rest with unmalted wheat in order to get any yield.

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Thanks for the reply, but I believe the protein rest is to thin the mash by breaking down the proteins as the wheat can become gluelike. I used a half pound of rice hulls and had no problem running off the wort.
See:
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/styles/2_4style.html
http://www.realbeer.com/spencer/Belgian/white-brewing.html

So, question still stands, and I did do a search regarding potential gravity.....thanks for help in advance....

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Absolutely useless reply but I read the title as "raw white meat..." and thought WTF is he brewing

Old 07-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't think of a reason that there would be a difference between malted and unmalted wheat gravity potential, it's just based on the amount of starch. Malting is about getting the enzymes available and has nothing to do with making more starches. Beersmith shows 35 points for flaked wheat and that should be about what regular unmalted wheat gives you. Of course doing the cereal mash well enough so that you can convert them is up to you.

Quick Reply