The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Raw Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
November
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Good point. How long of a rest is needed? I've read anywhere from 20min to an hour. Do you just rest the wheat and add everything else later or do you just step the whole mash together from the first rest to the second? Maybe I let my laziness get the best of me in wanting to avoid extra steps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

It depends on what you want to accomplish with the unmalted wheat. For a witbier it's probably better not to do a protein rest because you want the haze and some starchy element (unless you don't want that). If you are replacing flaked wheat or some other form of unmodified or undermodified wheat I would also say skip it. However if you are using the unmalted wheat in place of malted wheat in other recipes you likely want to do the protein rest to get better conversion out of the unmalted wheat.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by November View Post
Good point. How long of a rest is needed? I've read anywhere from 20min to an hour. Do you just rest the wheat and add everything else later or do you just step the whole mash together from the first rest to the second? Maybe I let my laziness get the best of me in wanting to avoid extra steps!
I generally do 20-30 minutes. I have done it both ways of full mash rest as well as just the unmalted with a small portion of pilsner. I have actually found it to be less of a hassle to raise the temp of the full mash, rather than resting just the wheat then adding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
It depends on what you want to accomplish with the unmalted wheat. For a witbier it's probably better not to do a protein rest because you want the haze and some starchy element (unless you don't want that).
I've used unmalted for my wits, always doing a p-rest (122F for 20-30 minutes) and always retain haze in the finished beer regardless. I personally wouldn't risk not doing it in favor of a stuck mash, but that might just be how my system operates.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I do mine at the usual 122 for 20 minutes, I've done one at 125 because I hit a little higher but it's still perfectly within the protein rest range so I left it at 125.

Btw, I didn't mean to suggest the only difference is in efficiency. I haven't yet tasted my latest Wit as it's still in the fermenter so I can't yet say what impact is on the flavor itself.

Rev.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
November
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well the first attempt didn't go so well. I did a protein rest just fine but my infusion didn't bring the temperature high enough but I didn't notice until it was too late that I had mashed at 149. I rolled with it but missed my OG by a bunch. Looks like 50% efficiency. Hopefully I'll hit it next time.

Quick Reply