Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Raw vs Flaked Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Flaked wheat is still raw wheat; it has been pre-gelatanized which makes it suitable for a single infusion mash or for a minimash. Raw wheat is very difficult to crush, and requires a protein rest or cereal mash to gelatanize the starches.

While many argue raw winter wheat will make the best Wit, flaked wheat is also quite acceptable. Wheat malt is OK in a Wit grist as long as you use at least 25% raw wheat. Using all wheat malt in a Wit won't give you the tartness you should get in a Witbier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I agree with Sacc and have also heard from a few pro brewers that using too much raw wheat (torr or flaked) can give an unwanted toasted flavor to your beers. The balance is key to get that tangy slightly acidic taste from the raw wheat.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
MTBREWDOG
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the clarification! I will be transferring my Witbeir tonight to my secondary. So far she's looking GRRREAT!

Cheers,

Joe

Quick Reply