Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Raspberry Wheat + High Mash Temp = Sweeter Fruit Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
o0weno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Raspberry Wheat + High Mash Temp = Sweeter Fruit Flavor?

I searched and searched and could not find any info on this.

My thinking is that if I use a higher mash temp (156?) on a wheat/rye beer there will be more unfermentable sugars that will aid in bringing out the flavor of the raspberries.

If you are familiar with McMenamins Ruby ale then what I am trying to avoid is the weak raspberry flavor and try to have a beer that both tastes like beer and has nice sweet-ish raspberry undertones.

Being a bit of a purist I'd like to avoid using fruit extracts, acid blends, and lactose. Of course if that's the only way then I'm open to it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think you'd still want to end up with an easy drinking beer which requires it to dry out a bit. However, you probably want to address the perception of sweetness by backing off on the IBUs quite a bit. I'm shooting for 8 IBU on an upcoming strawberry wheat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
944play Likes This 
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
mkling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that as long as you're using real fruit this will help out a decent bit with the issue that Bobby_M brings up. Most all of the sugars in the fruit will ferment out and this should dry the beer out some. Remember though that a lot of what is left as unfermentable when you mash high isn't sweetness but instead is malto-dextrins that contribute mouthfeel more than actual sweetness.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Quick Reply