Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ran out of propane, what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
jmp138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ran out of propane, what should I do?

So its 11:00, I live in the middle of nowhere and I have run out of propane after dropping my first hop addition into my honey imperial porter. Evidently my tank has a leak and I have no gas and nowhere to get any. Am I screwed or can I put a lid on it, and resume tomorrow when I get off work at noon. Totally pissed because this brew was going pretty epic. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Cover with the lid, and start tomorrow. It will be boiled for an hour anyway, it will be ok.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
bpugh1975
Recipes 

Can you pull the tank off of your grill?
Borrow from a neighbor?

Primary: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Ed Wort's Apfelwein, American Amber Ale, Brown Porter
Kegged: Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale, American Amber Ale

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
jmp138
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

First response makes me feel better, I seriously live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, the nearest place to get a fill is the feed store 15 minutes away and they close at 5. I can start up at 12 tomorrow, I just really dont want to destroy this one. I suppose this is a great time for the RDWHAHB principle.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes, if you were boiling for an hour, covering with the (sanitized) lid for a day will lose nothing (except the heat). You can start over the next day, bring to a boil long enough to sanitize your wort chiller (15-20 min, chill & pitch). If the temperature is low enough, you might even try no-chill, and just put it in the fermenter and pitch (I say that, but I can't recommend it because I"ve never done it). I can tell how full a 20 lb. propane tank is.....down to a point. Then I use the bathroom scale to tell me if I've got enough to do another batch. If you think you've got a leak, take it to a tank exchange place.
The 20 lb. tanks are handy, in a sense, but also require constant monitoring. I'm thinking about having my propane supplier run another line from the 1K gal. bulk tank that sits 25-30 ft from the garage...that way I can dispense with those grill tanks altogether, and the gas will come much cheaper.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
aledawg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
... I'm thinking about having my propane supplier run another line from the 1K gal. bulk tank that sits 25-30 ft from the garage...that way I can dispense with those grill tanks altogether, and the gas will come much cheaper.
hey Rico!

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday - getting an extension from the big tank in my back yard (which only feeds the stove and a space heater in the sunroom) into the garage area which is where I'll be doing all my brewing going forward.

Do you have any idea what I should expect in terms of expense/complextity? Is there such a thing as getting an "outlet" installed onto the wall near the garage and then hooking up a gas line to my burner when I need it?

The propane tanks are bulky and expensive, and until I get better at not running my burner at full blast, it last only a batch-and-a-half, soon to force me into buying second tank, which I'd really rather not do.

Thanks for any thoughts!

aledawg

Old 10-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 21

+1 to the above. Oh, and buy a spare tank for next time!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

When I used propane I had two tanks. If you were closer I would sell you one cheap.

As to extension from existing large tank, although I never had one I thought that indoor propane was low pressure vs. high pressure for our little tanks. I might be wrong but you should check that out before doing it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Granted this does nothing for the OP...but was a great $20 investment for me...

http://www.amazon.com/GasWatch-TVL21...4494313&sr=8-1

Only thing to watch is the gauge will say you have less if you read it after a long brew...granted the cylinder had frost all over so that might explain something.

As for the OP, next time you are out and about, check your local gas stations. Most in my area (boonies of NJ) are 24/7 and about half have the Blue Rhino exchange program.
<Granted the one 5 minutes from my house charges $35 for an exchange which is near robbery...compared to the $15 WallyWorld exchange 20m away...but you hey>

Last edited by JayInJersey; 10-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

A spare tank is real handy. You'll never go through an entire tank in one session so when you run out of one, you can start on the other and then refill the empty before your next brew day. This will also keep you from swapping near empty tanks because you're afraid you'll run out.

Aside from hard-to-determine hop utilization, there should be no side effects from just covering it and leaving it as long as you already started your boil. You could drop it in a sanitized fermenter if you're really worried but personally I wouldn't bother.

Quick Reply