The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Quick question about measuring OG of first runnings/preboil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Quick question about measuring OG of first runnings/preboil

I'm about to brew my first AG batch this weekend. I know I should be checking the preboil OG. How do I do this if it's 152 degrees? The hydrometer is calibrated for 68.

Thanks, and forgive the noobness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
alazred
Recipes 

You just need to cool it down ! usually I put my cylinder full of wort in a tub of cold water.

Last edited by alazred; 10-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Or get yourself a refractometer with automatic temp control. You are just using a couple drops of wort drawn in a pipette and that takes seconds to cool. You can take as many readings as you need to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
elproducto
Recipes 

Oh man.. NO MORE EQUIPMENT PLEASE

Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Best 30 bucks I've ever spent. It is so much easier to do all grain with it for measuring pre boil, I find myself taking tons of readings to monitor stuff as it goes along.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
elproducto
Recipes 

Sounds like a stocking stuffer!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

I put a small pot in the freezer, then when it's time to measure I take 4oz of wort, swirl it around for a couple minutes, and it's close enough to 70* that I feel I can judge it correctly.

Also, I've heard of people keeping some ice-cold water nearby, and pouring 2oz of wort and 2oz of ice water into your hydrometer flask, take a reading, and then double the result. I don't trust myself to measure this accurately enough, so I use the above method.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Measure the temperature first, take a hydrometer reading, measure the temperature again. Perform an OG temperature adjustment using the average of the before and after temperatures.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

I put the hot wort in a measuring cup and then place the cup in an ice bath. It takes 10 min or so to get the temp down so you can take a reading.

The refractometer with ATC is the most convenient way.

Quick Reply