A quick (or not) question about switching to All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Okay, my ultimate goal is to switch to all-grain without spending too much money. I also don't want to go the cheapest way, because then I'll have more costs down the road than I would have originally.

Here's my issue, whenever I talk to people locally (2 people; one at LHBS and one regular brewer) about all-grain and I mention batch vs. fly, I get a weird look. Basically, they are both suggesting that I get a mash tun where I can use direct flame, that way I can do step mashing. This seems to be the most expensive we to go. I am only doing 5 gallon batches with no intension (as of now) to do any more. I have a 7.5 gallon brew pot, and am starting to think I'll need to go bigger.

I originally wanted to use the round cooler batch sparge method. I was told that I couldn't do certain brews with batch sparging... I don't want to limit myself, because half the reason I got into brewing, was to make different types of beer.

What equipment do you guys suggest? Cooler? Or direct flame? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

STAD

You can do any types of beer with either sparge method.

However, in terms of actual mashing, some beers will benefit from step mashing. If you use a cooler, you can still get by this by decoction mashing though.

I have an Igloo Ice Cube cooler I bought for $13 from WM and then < $20 to make a manifold + valve. I would say 90% of my beers are single infusion and I batch sparge.

You're right- that's not a quick question!

I have a 30 quart turkey fryer pot, and a round MLT cooler. It's adequate, and I'm happy with it. I batch sparge, have done a few multi-rest infusions, and some decoctions as well. I can't imagine not being able to have any recipe you can't batch sparge- that doesn't make sense to me.

Now, I would love a bigger brewpot (but I do have a keggle I've never used- go figure!) and a direct fired MLT, and a HLT with sight gauge. But I've never felt the need to upgrade.

The important thing to consider is your goals in brewing. If your goal is to go AG with a minimum expense, and not need to upgrade, you may want to think about some of the beers you'll be making. If you'll be doing lots of multi-step infusions, and/or decoctions, you may not be happy with a cooler MLT. If you're thinking simple single infusions, a cooler MLT might be perfect.

Okay, my ultimate goal is to switch to all-grain without spending too much money. I also don't want to go the cheapest way, because then I'll have more costs down the road than I would have originally.

like revvy said, check out my thread :D you may only need to buy a bag and you can do an all-grain batch tomrrow.

Here's my issue, whenever I talk to people locally (2 people; one at LHBS and one regular brewer) about all-grain and I mention batch vs. fly, I get a weird look. Basically, they are both suggesting that I get a mash tun where I can use direct flame, that way I can do step mashing. This seems to be the most expensive we to go. I am only doing 5 gallon batches with no intension (as of now) to do any more. I have a 7.5 gallon brew pot, and am starting to think I'll need to go bigger.

I originally wanted to use the round cooler batch sparge method. I was told that I couldn't do certain brews with batch sparging... I don't want to limit myself, because half the reason I got into brewing, was to make different types of beer.

they're wrong. you can make ANY beer with batch sparging. and you can do step mashes with decoction OR start with a low volume of water for your grains (smaller qt/lb ratio) and step up using boiling water. batch sparging doesn't limit you in any way.

you can do direct heat with my stovetop method, too...just be sure to stir continuously.

What equipment do you guys suggest? Cooler? Or direct flame? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

STAD

i use all three. the keg mash tuns are a PITA cuz they're so damn heavy, especially when they are full of grain and need to be dumped. not good for my back.

the coolers are very nice and work excellent for batch sparging and decoction mashes.

my stovetop method is the easiest, the cheapest and the least backbreaking IMO.
:mug:

I would recommend a 10gal cooler with bulkhead and braid. It is inexpensive and will work for nearly any 5gal beer you want to brew.

As mentioned you can do step mashes with infusion mashes or decoction. Batch sparging is an easy way to sparge. There is no reason you can't do any kind of beer with a batch sparge, however if you use a smaller MLT then fly sparging will allow you to fit a little more grain in the MLT and still sparge it effectively. With a 10gal cooler that should not be an issue.

A 30qt (7.5gal) boil pot is sufficient, but barely for 5 gal batches. It is what I use. One trick I have found is to use fermcap anti-foaming agent. This really cuts down on boil overs. Someday I will upgrade to a bigger pot but for now it works and I am saving my money for a kegerator.

Craig

I think the only problem with the stovetop method (sorry Death), is that I'm limited to the amount of grain I can use, and I would have to buy another smaller brew bot. I think I'm going to go with the cooler. I can't find the pieces I need to make one myself, but more beer sells a 10 gallon cooler with false bottom for $139. Is that a pretty good deal?

no worries...it does limit the amount of grains you use. those extra pots always come in handy when i'm using my other equipment, tho, for vorlaufing and whatnot ;)

when i upgraded to cooler i bought this:

IGLOO 10&#45;gal&#46; Seat&#45;Top Drink Cooler with Cup Dispenser : Target

IGLOO 10-gal. Seat-Top Drink Cooler with Cup Dispenser
$59.99

i got it on sale, tho

and i bought this:

MoreBeer | Weldless Mash Keg Conversion - Stainless

Weldless Mash Keg Conversion - Stainless
Price: $64.95

a little cheaper than buying straight from morebeer. a coil from the hardware store would be even cheaper.

STAD I bet you could find the parts on line to do the cooler conversion and make your mash tun for $40 or less, you can do the morebeer route but I think you'd be happy saving the money, more money for ingredients.

6 months ago but I can't imagine the price has went up that much even if they where $40 you would still save a bunch of money.

Most key points have been already covered, but here's a shameless +1 to 48qt rectangle, with a S/S braid for a manifold.

My cooler was next to a dumpster, 48 hours of OxiClean and it was good to go. The valve, fittings, and toilet supply hose were $15. That's a damn cheap mash tun. It suffices for as high as a 1.090 RIS, or as low as a 1.033 British Mild. I love it dearly.

Check thrift/salvage stores for used coolers. Also check anything hunting-related or sport-related. Walmart, Target often carry them too.

I have a spare 48qt in the basement (used as a real cooler, actually) that is my "backup" if my dumpster MLT ever dies out ... I paid $14.88 at WalMart for it. It's a red and white Rubbermaid, and is even sturdier than my 48qt dumpster Igloo cooler.

I recently got a Coleman Xtreme 70qt cooler from Walmart for $34.00 and a Bazooka Screen form Midwest Brewer. I have done 2 batches already and I love it. I am getting good efficency, and not one stuck mash (unlike my Rubbermaid 10g water cooler). You can go cheaper by making your own manifold out of water supply line hose. The bazooka was worth the $21.00 (shipped) to me. Happy Brewing

I have been mashing in a converted grape juice bucket (like you get at the homebrew wine store) 23l, food grade plastic. It has a nice false bottom and a copper/brass tap (that's the most expensive part) and I wrap it in polyethelene insulation - for a single step mash it will lose about one degree celsius over one hour. You could go even cheaper with a bucket within a bucket instead of a false bottom (drill holes in the inside bucket) and a plastic fitting with a compression clamp on a vinyl hose. (I am guestimating maybe $20)

You should have no trouble doing single infusion mash with fly sparging using this setup. Your efficiency will come in at about 70% when you start. Most of the popular beer styles can be done with single or double infusion systems like this.

Furthermore if grain availability/ price is not an issue you don't even have to do a sparge - just brew the first runnings - this equipment setup would be even easier.

Back