Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Quick help please - brewing now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Quick help please - brewing now

Use beersmith software and recently upgraded to the 2.0 version. Mashing 10 lbs of grain with 13 qts of mash water. Doing a 5 gallon batch and looking for sparge water volume. Beersmith shows 5 gallons or so of sparge water after the 3 gallons of mash with grain absorbtion using a total of 8.14 gallons, not sounding right, I opened the old 1.0 version that I have used for over a year prior and it showed 3.5 gallons of sparge water needed on the same calculation. That is a 1 1/2 gallon difference - WTF? Not wanting to mess up my efficiency calculations, so looking for some quick experts that don't "rely" on software as I do to tell me what should be the total water needed (mash and sparge) for a 5 gallon all grain batch using 10 lbs of grain.

Much thanks!

__________________
DD2000GT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

All depends on your brewing system and recipe.

Assuming a "typical" 1.5 qt/lb mash, you need to dough in with 3.75 gal. The grain will absorb about .12 gal/lb so you should see around 2.55 gallons from 1st runnings. If your boil-off is 1 gal/hr and you're doing an hour boil, you'll want 6 gallons pre-boil. That means you need to sparge 3.45 gallons.

__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT
Use beersmith software and recently upgraded to the 2.0 version. Mashing 10 lbs of grain with 13 qts of mash water. Doing a 5 gallon batch and looking for sparge water volume. Beersmith shows 5 gallons or so of sparge water after the 3 gallons of mash with grain absorbtion using a total of 8.14 gallons, not sounding right, I opened the old 1.0 version that I have used for over a year prior and it showed 3.5 gallons of sparge water needed on the same calculation. That is a 1 1/2 gallon difference - WTF? Not wanting to mess up my efficiency calculations, so looking for some quick experts that don't "rely" on software as I do to tell me what should be the total water needed (mash and sparge) for a 5 gallon all grain batch using 10 lbs of grain.

Much thanks!
5 sounds right to me...3.5 + 3 doesn't even get you to your preboil vol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
spyder2723
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 64
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

The number from Beersimith 2.0 sound right. In your mash the grains absorb some water, then you have some dead space and so forth. For reference yesterday I had a 13 pound grain bill for a 5.5 gallon batch yesterday. Mashed with 4.06 gallons, and sparged with 4.58 gallons, total boil volume of 6.74 gallons. It was a 90 minute boil so the boil volume needed to be a little higher. So overall the numbers from 2.0 seem close to this which makes sense

__________________
spyder2723 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
OLDBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SJ
Posts: 759
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

rule of thumb is.. for every 10 pounds of grain, your water absorbtion will be 1 gallon.. you need to dial that in, but that will put you very close. then equipment loss and evaporation rate

so if you put in 4 gals. of water into 10 pounds of grain you should get close to 3 gals wort back depending on loss due to mashtun(equipment)

__________________
OLDBREW is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Wow - thanks for the quick replys - mash isn't even halfway done! I am using a 10 gallon round igloo cooler with a stainless screen loop at the bottom for my mash tun. I put in 13 qts of water for my mash - so according to your replys I should get about 2.25 gallons from my mash. I plan on loosing about a gallon on boil, so for a 5 gallon fermentor I need 4 gallons of sparge - right?

__________________
DD2000GT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Yup. Depending on absorption, you should see 2 - 2.25 from the 1st runnings. 4 should be about right for a 6 gallon pre-boil.

__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
DD2000GT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks again for bailing me out. I really should learn how to calculate this manually and not rely so blindly on a software.

Just odd how the same program can differ so wildly between releases. Wonder now if my efficiency calculations have ever been correct.

__________________
DD2000GT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT
Thanks again for bailing me out. I really should learn how to calculate this manually and not rely so blindly on a software.

Just odd how the same program can differ so wildly between releases. Wonder now if my efficiency calculations have ever been correct.
I always run the numbers from software through my "common sense filter," to make sure they sound right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 1,030
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2000GT
Wow - thanks for the quick replys - mash isn't even halfway done! I am using a 10 gallon round igloo cooler with a stainless screen loop at the bottom for my mash tun. I put in 13 qts of water for my mash - so according to your replys I should get about 2.25 gallons from my mash. I plan on loosing about a gallon on boil, so for a 5 gallon fermentor I need 4 gallons of sparge - right?
Oh, and don't forget about water loss from hops and shrinkage.

Even if you only lose 1 gal in a hour boil, 6 gal preboil for 5 gal seems tight to me..but thats based off my system and experience.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
It's comfort foam. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D
HItransplant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick question im brewing right now. GodsStepBrother All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 05-24-2010 02:31 AM
AG brewing- Quick Question mhermetz All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 12-08-2009 07:57 PM
Brewing: Quick help needed iXanadu All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 08-02-2009 12:51 AM
Quick Question About 10 Gallon Brewing BrewinHog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 04-19-2009 06:50 AM
Quick check on my calculations (brewing in a few min) D*Bo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 10-20-2007 12:46 PM