The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Questions on water to grist ratios

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
HoppyMcHopster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Questions on water to grist ratios

Let me start off by saying I haven't brew all grain yet so this may be a basic question.

How does the amount of water to grist ratio affect the mashing process and final product? I've read that "normal" ratios are anywhere between 1.00 quarts/lb up to 2.00 quarts/lb. Why would one choose one over the other? Do different sparging strategies require different ratios?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
heckels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts

I've heard that for beers that allow imperfections to show much easier (i.e. pilsners) that it's better to use a higher grist/water ratio and sparge with less water to reduce the risk of extracting tannins, etc.

I personally like to mash a little thicker for higher gravity beers so that I have more sparge water which increases efficiency.

One other big factor can be big beers and your mash tun capacity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply