Questions about upgrading system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentwoten

Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently an extract brewer and Im trying to move to all grain. Im trying to decide what would be the best route to go as far as buying equipment. Ive already purchased a 10gal round Igloo cooler for my mash tun. I was wondering if i should buy another cooler for my HLT (was gonna purchase the one on morebeer with the sparge attachment) or Should i buy another burner and use my keggles for a HLT. Ive already have a keg and ball valve just need a thermometer. I managed to get two kegs for free and was eventually going to a three burner system way down the road. Anyways for right now what would be the best options for me?? thanks guys any comments on what you did would be awesome.

If you already have 2 kegs and a cooler and you plan on heating the HLT & BK with gas then I would recommend just going with the kegs you have they will hold enough for 10 gallon batches. Think I would save my money for a pump and build the sparg arm and attachments. Half the fun is building your own setup IMHO. :)

I just got a second keggle but up to about a month ago I was using two10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers. One was my MLT and the other my HLT. I've got to tell you it is kind ona pain in the but to heat up your water and then have to pour it into you HLT. If it ends up losing too much temp of you miscalculate the rigt sparge temp then you either have to deal with it or add boiling water infusions.

If I you didn't already have the keggles and you were looking to save money I'd tell you go with the two coolers. But seeing as you have two keggles already you'd just be making it more difficult by going that route. If I were you I'd setup one of your keggles as your HLT and the other as your boil kettle. Use the drink cooler for you MLT and call it a day.

Thanks. Yea that's answered my main concerns. The kegs I got for free so right their saved money I just need to purchase a sight glass and thermo fitting. I've been wanting a new burner and eventually get a pump. Doesn't make much sense to back step if I've already got most of the equipment.

Back