Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Questions about partial-mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 12:32 AM   #11
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

two row and six row is a farming term based on how many stalks they stuff in a certian plot...

two row will give you better yields, six row will give you more husk and thus a better filter bed from the grain when you sparge....

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
phuzle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryser2k
From what I understand, in order of difficulty, it goes
Extract -> Mini-mash -> Partial Mash -> All Grain

Extract uses all malt extract, mini-mash uses about half grain and half extract, partial mash uses about 3/4 grain and 1/4 extract, and all-grain uses... well, all grain.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...
I think you're basically right here but your proportions might be off. I would say a mini mash would be 1/4 grain and 3/4 extract. Most of the beers I do are this way. Partial mash would be more like 50-50, imo. Although, from what I understand, the temperature and the duration of your grain mash determines how much sugar you get from them, so I would think that should be acounted for. I have used grain just for flavor and I have used grain for flavor and sugar, and there is a big difference.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah, I would think mini-mash and partial mash are the same thing...that is you're getting some of your fermentable sugars from grain and thus are doing a real mash and not just a steep. I'd say it's more like:

Extract (usually just your first batch or two at most)
Extract w/ steeped grains (will dramatically improve flavor by steeping grains in water)
Partial Mash (just as difficult as all-grain, but you don't need as big vessels)
All grain

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Quick Reply