Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Questions about a first AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
oooFishy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Questions about a first AG

I just did my first all grain batch a couple weeks ago. I haven't upgraded from my 5 gallon pot, so I was forced to boil my first runnings in a couple of smaller sized kitchen pots, while my second runnings from the sparge went into my 5 gallon pot. Later when the worts had boiled down somewhat I was able to combine them in my 5 gallon. During the boil of my first runnings I noticed a ton of white, thick, trub that had formed that def wasn't there before. There was really a ton of it. I did a starch conversion test, which turned out fine. Is this normal? I was thinking that maybe becuase the pots were much smaller than the 5 gallon, the wort in each of them got much hotter. Not sure if this would have any affect however, just a possibility. Obviously I haven't had a chance to try the finished product, so I was wondering if this is an acceptable way to do an AG. I'll prob upgrade by my next batch, I'm just not too excited about dropping another 100$+ on a propane stove...

Any ideas welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Sounds like grain particles, since it was in the first runnings and not the later. Multiple pots is a tough way to do AG, but it works. Try re-circulating the wort [someone supply the correct brewing term here, I had a bad night] more before taking the first runnings.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

"Vorlauf." Sounds like you did a batch sparge; how much did you recirculate?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Sounds like you got a good hot break to me. If so, this is normal.

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply