Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Questions about The amount of debris in my wort.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Questions about The amount of debris in my wort.

Hey all. just finished my 2nd ever batch of AG. Its a wannabe sierra nevada pale ale. My numbers were a little off but all in all i hope a success. Was hoping for an OG of 1.056 but came up with a measured gravity of 1.052. Anyway my main question to you is about whether my MLT is doing its job. On my previous all grain batch i can safely say i did not do a good job of recycling my runnings through the mash tun.

But on this batch i thought i did a thorough job recycling on both my first runnings and on my sparge. I added some pics of the wort i took out when i did my hydrometer readings and after only 30 minutes in the fridge you can see the large amount of grain and debris that had fallen out of this small amount of wort.

So after my long spiel here i was just wondering if you could tell me if after 7 recycles if this is normal or whether my technique or if my MLT may not be up to snuff.

I use a 10 gallon cooler with a 12" piece of hollowed out stainless steel braided plumbing hose. Also my LHBS crushed my grain so perhaps it was too fine? I have pics below. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

image-3844469529.jpg   image-2164067349.jpg   image-1994607814.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
RandyAB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cold break.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

From looking at the picture it appears that your grain may not have been crushed fine enough. That would account for the slightly lower extraction which left your OG at 1.052 instead of 1.056 but that is close enough to not really matter. The stuff at the bottom of your carboy looks like it should. Since I BIAB and squeeze all the wort I can from the bag, I get some cloudy wort but when the fermentation is over and I bottle condition, my beers turn out really clear anyway so I wouldn't worry a bit about how yours looks. You probably recirculated more than necessary even.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have similar break material. When making the switch from extract, the amount of break material was considerably higher. Some of this is also the small pieces of husk that get through. It all comes out in the trub.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Dave37
Recipes 

Thanks alot for your timely responses. Makes me feel better about how both of my brews which are currently fermenting will come out. Now i know that the numbers are right or close enough all i have to do is worry about them tasting somewhat good. Cheers.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Which HB shop do you use?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
Dave37
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahler
Which HB shop do you use?
I go to brooklyn homebrew in brooklyn (obviously) bout a 15-20 minute ride for me. Good shop from the very little that i know. Do you know of any others in the boroughs? Or do you purchase through the web?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I get all my grain from the Whole Foods in the Bowery- base malts are $1.24 p/lb, specialty $1.50 p/lb. Milling is free. I've never had any issues with their yeast being dead/non-viable. Yeast is $6.99 per tube (whitelabs) and hops are $1.99 whether it be whole leaf or pellets. The equipment is pricey, but i DIY all my stuff anyway. And they have a great beer selection. Check it out if you havent already.

I'm in Astoria btw. Where you at?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Dave37
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahler
I get all my grain from the Whole Foods in the Bowery- base malts are $1.24 p/lb, specialty $1.50 p/lb. Milling is free. I've never had any issues with their yeast being dead/non-viable. Yeast is $6.99 per tube (whitelabs) and hops are $1.99 whether it be whole leaf or pellets. The equipment is pricey, but i DIY all my stuff anyway. And they have a great beer selection. Check it out if you havent already.

I'm in Astoria btw. Where you at?
Thats a good price in comparison to brooklyn. I think they do $2.25 a lb hops in pellet form are slightly cheaper. Depending on style mostly 1.80 an oz. leaf are a little more. Wyeast smack packs are very fresh and they have a big selection on yeast malt and hops. $7 a pack on the yeast. I think ill check out your spot next time i brew. Both of my fermenters are occupied at the moment. Sierra nevada pale ale wannabe and a belgian golden strong ale going at the moment.

Im in Ridgewood right on the brooklyn queens border. Astoria is a cool spot. Very pricey out there though.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Flycal6
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I met some German guy who owns a brewpub in Honduras. When we talked about brewing, he told me that all the debris in your wort puts in crap that causes hangovers. He told me to get it clean as possible.

He makes phenomenal beer and I trust him, but I have no idea if it's true. I usually brew socially, get buzzed, and make decent beer that may or may it give a hangover.

Quick Reply