Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A question on Tannins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
7mmSTW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default A question on Tannins

Yesterday I tried my hand at my first AG batch using a stovetop BIAB method. I used an Austin Homebrewer Newcastle clone kit. Everything seemed to go pretty smooth except for the following: While heating some extra water in a seperate pot (water that wouldn't fit in the brew kettle so I figured to use it as sparge water by tea bagging and pouring it over the bag of grains...) I was moving my thermometer back and forth between the brew kettle and the sparge water. Within a 2 minute period the temp on my kettle jumped from 150 to 170+. This was about 40 mins into the sparge, I killed all heat and pulled the top off to stir the mix and allow heat to escape (looking back I chould have pulled the bag out...) I continued on letting the grain sit in the 160+ water until it was done and "cleaned" the grains with the sparge water as best I could, the water coming out of the grain was pretty clear by the time I was done. Second mistake I made was the amount of water used, I didn't make up for the amount the grains would soak up, rookie mistake number x, I ended up with 4 gallons of wort. The gravity reading of this when corrected for temperature was 1.0589, the recipe called for 1.050. I topped to 5.25 gallons and aerated, pitched, and threw it in the basement. I realize I should have taken a gravity reading after topping and guess it probably came out close to the correct starting gravity. This morning I already have Krausen and its fermenting away nicely @ 64 degrees. The reading I did take tasted nice and sweet just like wort should. Final Question: If I did extract tannins with the spike should I be able to taste it in the unfermented wort? Thanks in advance, at least I learned some lessons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4825 Times on 4429 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Yes.

If your palate is sensitive to them.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmSTW View Post
This was about 40 mins into the sparge
Don't you mean 40 mins into the mash? It's my understanding that there is no sparge with biab.

I don't think it should make any difference. With a decoction mash you would boil the grains! Granted a decoction boil is much thicker but I still think you won't have a problem with tannins.

Report back when the beer is finished to let us know how it is

Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
DWith a decoction mash you would boil the grains! Granted a decoction boil is much thicker but I still think you won't have a problem with tannins.

Same with back sqeezing in biab -vs- not squeezing in extract with grains, there's a lot of "not sure" as to what causes tannins other than the main one. PH....I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't matter if we squeeze or boil our grains, as much as what the PH is.

I'll share with you the answer that 2 of us gave to someone who posted the exact same question a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
As long as your pH was in the proper range, you won't have extracted any tannins. What you did was sort of the equivalent of doing a decoction. Heck I made a beer where I boiled ALL of my grains (9 lbs worth) and then drained to a fermenter. No tannins in the final product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I was just going to bring up the decoction analogy as well. I just did that in my Barleywine, boiled up several gallons of my grains and wort and added it back to my mash after boiling for 15-20 minutes. As we neared the end of the 60 minute mash I pulled out a couple gallons of mash and brought it to a boil for about 10 minutes as a decoction which we then used as a mashout. The stuff was like porridge. (It was so think that it was difficult to clean the pitched I had used to get it out of the tun hours later, it was like a thick sugar glaze.)

I just tasted my Barleywine, there were no tannins to be found.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

My understanding is that there are 3 factors at play. lower Gravity, higher temp & higher pH all contribute to tannin extraction. But you really need 2 of the 3 factors before you have an issue. Like in the decoction the temp is high but the gravity is still high and the pH is still very low. So it's no problem. BUT in the final runnings of a fly sparge the gravity is low and the temp is high and the pH may be creeping up so you better watch out.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
7mmSTW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did mean mash instead of sparge...I'm gonna consider this stuff good untill proven otherwise. I feel that as long as it tastes good now it will taste good later...we'll see if my thoughts are correct. Thanks Revvy...I feel as I've finally graduated to another HBT level, having had you cut and paste knowledge that I could have found if I searched long enough or for the correct thing

Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
7mmSTW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just to follow up, this stuff started fermenting a few hours later and activity slowed to a screeching halt sometime last night. I took a hydrometer sample which shows it at 1.012, seems to taste like flat green beer... Now to let it sit about 3 weeks or so in primary and another 3+ in bottles. I'm glad I didn't start this hobby 10 years ago or so, I'd have never been able to wait for the results.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How did it turn out?

Quick Reply