The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question for sanky tun users

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
BrothersBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question for sanky tun users

what are you guys using for false bottoms/screens?

and

valves, im looking a weldless what are your recommendations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Droot
Recipes 

Yer gonna laugh. Its a piece of 5/16" copper tubing with some holes drilled through it. End is pinched. Been using it since 1993. I get 83% efficiency. I only fly sparge and it holds 20 lbs grain with 6 gallons of water.

brewing-005.jpg

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought mine from Jaybird here on HBT. Very happy with it. My valves are welded in. - Dwain

Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droot View Post
Yer gonna laugh. Its a piece of 5/16" copper tubing with some holes drilled through it. End is pinched. Been using it since 1993. I get 83% efficiency. I only fly sparge and it holds 20 lbs grain with 6 gallons of water.

Attachment 12207

David
How do you maintain temps? I've been using a cooler that hasn't once lost more than 1F during a mash but I am wondering how y'all keep a converted keg thats used as a tun to hold temp

Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
I bought mine from Jaybird here on HBT. Very happy with it. My valves are welded in. - Dwain
I'm also using a heavy duty screen from Jaybird. I don't know if he has any more in stock, but send him a PM if you're interested. I will post the thread if I can find it . For my setup, I used a 1/2" brass coupler from OSH and soldered it to some 1/2" copper pipe. This all connects to a 1/2" coupler in the side of my keg with a ball valve. The 1/2" coupler makes removal/cleaning of the screen easier, and means I don't have to disassemble the whole copper diptube to get the screen out. Efficiency is great, and works a lot better than the copper tubing manifold with holes drilled in it . The flow is a lot better, and it made a big difference with the beers with 30+ pounds of grain on top!

Don't skimp on this piece, the peace of mind you get from quality construction is priceless. Don't stress about a stuck mash, disconnected tube, smashed braid, etc. My 2 cents...

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #6
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Actually, my valves aren't welded in. My couplings are welded in, the valves are screwed in. My false bottom had a hole in the middle of it that would accept 1/2" tubing. I put a stainless dip tube in and bent it down 90deg. where it would go through the false bottom. I marked it and welded a washer on it and it holds the bottom tightly against the bottom of the keggle.
I use a keggle for a mash tun. I recirc the wort through the HLT through a stainless coil. Right now, I try to keep the mash between 150F & 160F so it isn't difficult with that big of a range. However, I'm starting to fine tune my process and if I see that I need to close that range, I'll build a form out of 1/8" wood, spray the wood with diesel or something similar and fill it with expanding foam, cover it with stainless sheet metal. I don't direct fire the mash tun so it shouldn't be too bad. I have only brewed during the summer and it's been hotter than 2 rats fu%$@!g in a wool sock. Hopefully it'll work fine during the winter. - Dwain

Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another Jaybird false bottom user here. Sits in the bottom of the keg with a copper dip tube down through the center.

I have a stainless coupler that's welded in, but before that I used a weldless setup without any issues. I had some other stuff going in to the shop, so I just had the keg welded up at the same time.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Got a 15" FB from Jaybird that was cut in 1/2. I hinged it to fit down through the hole in the top, and put 2 SS bolts to support the middle.

I recirculate my mash and use a burner to direct-fire my MLT to maintain temps. Works great.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
BrothersBrewing
Recipes 

Very nice info....

Droot, how well does that set up clean?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
Droot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballbrewer View Post
Very nice info....

Droot, how well does that set up clean?
No big deal. I soak it usually overnight, then scrub it out with a scotch brite pad. I open the valve and let water run out, then put the garden hose on the out and watch water squirt from ALL the holes. I just cleaned it last night from brewing a fat tire clone on Sunday.

Nothing fancy, but it works. It takes me an hour to sparge 12 gallons which I think is fine. I did an oatmeal stout that took an hour and a half, but it has never stuck so it would not drain.

I have a 4 cup grant. 2 cups and its running clear. I fill the grant, pour it back in the tun and sparge away. If I stop and stir, 4 more cups and away I go.

I use no pumps, just gravity. Sometimes I don't even open the valve all the way.

Total cost = peanuts. Efficiency 83% last batch 85%. What more could I ask for?

I tried the steel braided hose and it took way too long until the wort ran clear so I went back to the copper tubing.

Tubing is held in with a compression fitting so I can take it out to clean the tun if I burn the bottom which I do frequently. I just clean it up with a scotch brite pad on a drill. That would be a 3M rollock disk.

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Last edited by Droot; 07-28-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply