Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question on missing OG target

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Question on missing OG target

I've read various posts lamented missing the target OG by a lot on an all-grain batch because of lower than anticipated efficiency.

I'm planning to take a hydrometer reading of the collected wort, adjust for temperature, and calculate the SG when it's boiled down to 5.5 gallons (or whatever the batch size is).

If it's way low, I'll add some DME: it just happens to work out neatly that 2 oz of DME should add one gravity point to a 5.5 gallon batch.

I'm just wondering why anyone wouldn't do this, if you're going to go to the trouble of taking hydrometer readings at all. Seems like a small amount of trouble to avoid ending up with a 1030 beer when you're shooting for 1050.

I can see why a purist would not want to add DME. In that case, I'd probably boil longer and just shoot for a smaller batch.

Seems like waitng until pitching time to take a hydrometer reading just adds fear and worrying. What am I missing?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I did exactly this for 2-3 batches until I got Promash dialled in pretty well. I'm generally close enough for gov't work these days, but I always have some DME around for exactly this scenario (and starters).

Old 04-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think it is a good plan and will do the same thing for my initial AG brews. Since I don't crush my grains yet that is one variable that I cannot account for at this time.

Gary

Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
voodoochild7
Recipes 

My first all grain turned out to be 1030 but I like to experiment 'till I find out how to get things working for me. I don't mind if this turns out to be a lighter beer anyway summers coming.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like the others, I did this for my first AG batches. But there it was even anticipated since they were higher gravity beers (Doppelbock and Maibock).

When I grind the grain at the LHBS I inspect the grind and make shure it is ok. So far my efficiency was pretty consistent. And since I batch sparge, there is not much that can go wrong. So I stopped keeping DME at hand. After I collected 24L (~6.5 gal) of wort, I measure its gravity. Then I determine what the post boil volume should be and start the timed boil. If I don't expect to boil down to the necessary volume, I would have to extend the boil. At 20-15 min left, before I place the chiller into the boil, I check the volume in the kettle and start boiling the amount of water I need to add at the end to get to the anticipated post boil volume and gravity. I then add the water when it is boiling. Usually I need to add 2-3L (2-3 qts).

For starters, I usually have wort left over or may run the lauter for a final time.

Kai

Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Eleusis
Recipes 

Pretty much standard operating procedure for the first few AG batches, if you ask me.... you positively cannot be left with 1.035 wort.

Quick Reply