Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question on measuring temp in mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
dynobyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Question on measuring temp in mash tun

I've been using a simple, cheap digital probe style thermometer for my extract brews thus far. I'm about to make the jump to all grain brewing and will be using a 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler as my mash tun. Do I need to be concerned about measuring the temp of the grains at or near the bottom of the tun? Or if I use my 3-4 inch probe will that be fine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynobyte View Post
I've been using a simple, cheap digital probe style thermometer for my extract brews thus far. I'm about to make the jump to all grain brewing and will be using a 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler as my mash tun. Do I need to be concerned about measuring the temp of the grains at or near the bottom of the tun? Or if I use my 3-4 inch probe will that be fine?
You should be okay, just make certain that your thermo is calibrated. I as many others I know, use a ThermaPen thermometer. They are a bit pricey, but uber accurate, and best of all read temps very quick.

Just measure your mash temp in 3-4 different places around your MLT, and quickly average the number in a round about fashion in your head. The temp will stabilize near or at where you want it to.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
dynobyte
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've looked at the ThermaPen and it isn't any longer than other digital thermometers I've read of others using which are also quite a bit cheaper. I've also found a Cooper-Atkins model that has a 16" stem which I would consider if measuring deep in to the mash tun was considered necessary. It is also cheaper than the ThermaPen. In regard to the ThermaPen, is it really the quickness that the final temp is displayed and the accuracy, not requiring calibration, that makes it truly worth the money?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4235 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Well, it's perfectly calibrated, and accurate, so that helps.

But remember that you stir your mash. Then stir some more. Check the temps in three different places, and if it's different, stir some more. You should have equal temperatures throughout after that, so it doesn't really matter where the temperature is taken.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
acslater55
Recipes 

Love that quote from Temple of the Dog. Great band!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, it's perfectly calibrated, and accurate, so that helps.

But remember that you stir your mash. Then stir some more. Check the temps in three different places, and if it's different, stir some more. You should have equal temperatures throughout after that, so it doesn't really matter where the temperature is taken.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a round and a rectangular. I find the round isnt as hard to get a consistant temp. Once stirred really really well, the round is the same no matter where I take the temp. On the rectangular, it's very difficult to get the same reading in two differeng places, and the longer I stir, the mor heat I lose. I should probably grab a thermapen so I dont have the lid open as long.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i stir the heck out of the mash for the first few minutes, then let it sit. then stir it again, and let it sit some more. then, just for good luck, stir it again. all this in the course of 15 minutes. 5 minutes (or so) after stirring it, i measure it in 3 places. if it's close, that's a good mash

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Quick Reply