New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > question about imperial stout fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
513hooligan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about imperial stout fermentation

very late last night i finished an imperial coffee stout (partial mash), and i was bringing the temp down to pitching temp. it got rather late and either i got anxious or tired and ended up throwing the yeast in at 78F. i know it's high, so im gonna be bummed if it doesn't work out but recopgnize that it's my fault. the question is: about how long do higher gravity beers take to start fermentation? i used wyest 1084 i believe. the irish ale smack pack. it was at room temp when i pitched and while 78 is a little high, i really don't think it would kill. my OG was 1.074at 78F. part two question is if it doesn't start in the next day or so, would i be wasting time trying to bring to a boil to kill the old yeast and pitching again at the right temp? thanks in advance for the advice if more information about ingredients would help, let me know. i would be happy to hear any information at all. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wait at least 72 hours before you do anything. The fact that you didn't make a starter on a higher OG ale might cause your fermentation to take awhile to get started. And if you do have to re-pitch yeast, do not boil to kill off the old yeast. Just add the additional yeast to the fermenter.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to McKBrew. You pretty much grossly underpitched a high-gravity beer. It's not going to be a quick start. Way too early to suspect trouble. Yeast is pretty hardy. I doubt that you killed it by pitching at 78. Stunned it a bit perhaps, which may account for a slower start. But killed it? Not bloody likely.

Do you have a blowoff tube on that one? An Imperial Stout sounds like a prime candidate for massive fermentation once it takes off. My ceiling can attest to that.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
513hooligan
Recipes 

i do not have a blow off tube. could you elaborate as to how to make one if possible. i will buy one if needed but i would rather fabricate one. would you also tell me a little bit more about underpitching in reference to high gravity? thanks for your answers it helps a lot.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Answer #1.

Blowoff tube. Needs to be a tube that fits the diameter of the whole in the top of your carboy or bottling bucket. This tube runs into a small bucket, jug, etc... of sanitized water and basically acts as an airlock and allows the excess krausen to be deposited into the second container vice all over walls, ceiling, side of bucket etc.... If you have a 3 piece airlock (one with the center post) you can attach a tube over the top of the center post and use that for a blowoff in an emergency.

Answer #2. Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters will answer some of your questions on starters and gravity. While not a hard and fast rule, making a starter for any beer over about 1.050 guarantees a shorter lag time.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #6
513hooligan
Recipes 

thanks again. that's precisely the information i needed. i should have taken a lesson from my last blowoff. wasn't very bad, but left a mess. cheers mate!

Quick Reply