Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about double batch sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
mclaughlindw4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question about double batch sparge

I am entering the recipe for reaper's mild into beer smith. I am supposed to do a mash out with 1 gallon, and then a double batch sparge.

Beersmith says to do double batch sparge 1.44 Gal, 3.86 Gal.

Why does it give different volumes for the batch sparges, why not just use equal volumes for both?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I believe there is a check box under the mash profile that will let you set it to equal runnings.

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 73 Posts

Beersmith gives you equal volumes of runnings, not additions. So your first addition is smaller as your first runnings will be the liquid part of your mash + the first sparge addition. You're second addition is larger as you have drained the mash, so it is effectively "dry".

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Under your recipe, if you go down to "mash" above carbonation. I hit command & right click, it brings up your mash profile info. Under batch sparge options check the box for "use equal batch sizes"

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlindw4 View Post
I am entering the recipe for reaper's mild into beer smith. I am supposed to do a mash out with 1 gallon, and then a double batch sparge.

Beersmith says to do double batch sparge 1.44 Gal, 3.86 Gal.

Why does it give different volumes for the batch sparges, why not just use equal volumes for both?
Keep in mind that Beersmith is a great tool to help you brew the way you want to brew. But it is NOT instructions about how to brew. You get to decide that for yourself. In batch sparging there is almost never a need for a mashout or a double sparge. Make it easy on yourself.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

chickypad Likes This 
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 146

If batch sparging you also want to check the "drain tun before sparging" on the mash profile page. If you do that and your tun is big enough it will give you the sparge in a single step.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Since you are planning to batch sparge, you can skip the mash out step. Note how much wort you get when you drain the tun. Plan your batch sparge(s) to add just enough water to get to your planned preboil. You can do one or 2 batch sparges and can mix up or match the volumes if you do 2.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

So the recipe says

Quote:
mashout with 1 gallon of boiling water and Vorlauf till first runnings are clear. Double batch sparge with 170 degree water to get to pre-boil volume.
I take this to mean to add the one gallon for the mash out, drain, add water and drain (first batch sparge), add water and drain (second batch sparge). This does seem like overkill for a recipe with an OG of 1.036. But I am still quite new so was planning on just following the recipe. Actually though I think I will just do one batch sparge.

I just hadn't really considered mash out and draining the first runnings to be a sparge, but this is what beersmith is doing. So now I get why the numbers are different.

My main reason for asking was because I know I have read some stuff about your sparge volumes should be proportional to your mash volumes or something but I can't remember the details or know if it is that important or not anyways. I though maybe beersmith was taking that into account somehow.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
If batch sparging you also want to check the "drain tun before sparging" on the mash profile page. If you do that and your tun is big enough it will give you the sparge in a single step.
Done. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

All excellent advice. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply