New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > question about doing 10 gallon batches with 5 gal equip.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
ilikeguns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default question about doing 10 gallon batches with 5 gal equip.

I like to brew big beers (15lb+ mashes) and typically do 5 gallon batches. I have a big enough brew kettle but only have a 10 gallon mash tun.

Is there any harm in making a batch of wort, dumping it into my boil kettle, then making another batch and then doing a double batch in my kettle (a full size keg).

I would think it would be fine but I was wondering if there were any unexpected pitfalls that some of the more experienced people could point out.

Thanks all..

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't see why that would be a problem, assuming you're not doing the two mashes a week apart.

One advantage might be to even out any inconsistancies in the overall mash, as long as you're not off in the same direction both times.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
ilikeguns
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

good though on the "averaging" jasonsbeer... Frankly, I like to brew, but this last brew took about 5 hours which ain't easy with a wife and two kids.

For those doing 10 gallon batches, what kind of mash tun are y'all using for those brews with a big grain bill?

life is too short to drink beer you don't love...

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I started out with a 5 gallon pot and would make a strong enough wart to split it into two carboys, and then top them off with water, making 7 point ABV beers.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
I like to brew big beers (15lb+ mashes) and typically do 5 gallon batches. I have a big enough brew kettle but only have a 10 gallon mash tun.

Is there any harm in making a batch of wort, dumping it into my boil kettle, then making another batch and then doing a double batch in my kettle (a full size keg).

I would think it would be fine but I was wondering if there were any unexpected pitfalls that some of the more experienced people could point out.

Thanks all..
I would just heat that first batch to greater than 180F for 10 minutes or so while mashing the 2nd lot, that should stop any continued conversion issues.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I have the same setup, keggle for brew pot but only 9 gallon HLT and 10 gallon cooler. Really want to do 10 gallons and was thinking I'd go extract for next batch. This method here will take awhile but I think would work

On Deck:
Primary: Centennial Blonde, Petite Saison D'Ete, Weizenbier
Secondary:
Carbing/Conditioning/Lagering: caramel apple cider
On tap: Cottage House Saison, Oaked English Mild, London Porter
Bottled: Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Trench Pale Ale, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I do ten gal batches. My HLT is only 26lts (6.5gals?) and MLT is 40ltrs (10gal) and my BK is 70lts (18gal?). I just sparge twice. Mash and first sparge are with 26lts then second sparge is about 18 to20lts. This works great for me and I get a bit of increased efficiency from the se sparge ( normally get 1050 from 8.5kg grain). Also, saves waiting for a second mash to be done.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab1788
I do ten gal batches. My HLT is only 26lts (6.5gals?) and MLT is 40ltrs (10gal) and my BK is 70lts (18gal?). I just sparge twice. Mash and first sparge are with 26lts then second sparge is about 18 to20lts. This works great for me and I get a bit of increased efficiency from the se sparge ( normally get 1050 from 8.5kg grain). Also, saves waiting for a second mash to be done.
How do you heat enough water for your strike? Say you have a basic grain bill of 24 lbs for a 10 gallon batch, that would be 30 quarts of strike water to dough in. I guess you're limited to batches with 20 lbs grain bill?

On Deck:
Primary: Centennial Blonde, Petite Saison D'Ete, Weizenbier
Secondary:
Carbing/Conditioning/Lagering: caramel apple cider
On tap: Cottage House Saison, Oaked English Mild, London Porter
Bottled: Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Trench Pale Ale, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
good though on the "averaging" jasonsbeer... Frankly, I like to brew, but this last brew took about 5 hours which ain't easy with a wife and two kids.

For those doing 10 gallon batches, what kind of mash tun are y'all using for those brews with a big grain bill?
I have 3 keggles, 1 is my mash tun I've had close to 40 lbs of grain in there and no problems.

Quick Reply