Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about calculating necessary amounts of water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Question about calculating necessary amounts of water

Since I have started all grain, I feel very comfortable with the process. However, I feel like I need to better understand how much water I need. I realized this when using the Recipator this evening and thinking about the portion of the spreadsheet that asks for pre-boil volume, etc.

Previously, I have always followed specific recipe directions to determine the amount of water that I need for mash/sparge/etc. Now that I have created my own recipe (hopefully), how should I go about determining amounts of water needed. For instance,

1. How many gallons of water per pound of malt should I use for the mash?
2. How many gallons of water will the grain absorb during mash and sparge?
3. How can I calculate the amount of water that will evaporate in my 60 minute boils?

If I am right, having answers to these questions should be enough so that a brewer can ensure that he has 5 gallons (or very near it) at the end of the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Promash will do all that for you. Thr trial version is very handy and fully functional, the only thing is that it puts a limit on saves and won't let you print. Super handy for building recipes even if you don't shell-out for it.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I batch sparge and use 1.2 quarts per pound for the mash. All that I read said to figure .1 quarts per pound for grain absorbtion. As far as evaporation I think it would have to be calculated for your individual system. Promash defaults at 15%. You may also have some deadspace in the mash tun and boil kettle that has to be factored into your water calculations as well.

Gary

Old 05-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Promash will do all that for you. Thr trial version is very handy and fully functional, the only thing is that it puts a limit on saves and won't let you print. Super handy for building recipes even if you don't shell-out for it.
Just got Promash yesterday. Be sure to go to the help and do the Tutorials as they answered a bunch of questions I had when I started to play around it them.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 05-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the #1 - I think it depends on your equipment, beer style and your preferences, it could be somewhere in the range between 1-2 quarts/pound. Lighter beer - higher the ratio. #2 - 10 pounds of grain will hold 2 gallons of water. #3 - again, it will depend on your equipment. In my boil it would be little <1 gallon/hour

Non-alcoholic beer is a first step to a rubber woman

Quick Reply