New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
If you've ever been in the kitchen for more than 10 minutes, you can brew AG. The biggest mechanical/technical hurdles I feel, are:
a) Boiling the wort: if you have a turkey fryer, disregard.
b) Chilling the wort: if you have an immersion chiller, disregard.

If your tap water is crappy, you can also run into some problems on that front. I don't have an immersion chiller, so I just calculate for lower efficiency and sparge less, so that when I finish boiling, I can add a gallon or so of ice (clean tap water ice, not the disgusting gas station ice) to bring me to my final volume.

Or you can just no-chill.
Making ice in your freezer and adding to wort is not recommended. You can, however, freeze a gallon of bottled spring water from the store, sanitize the whole thing, then cut off the plastic with a sanitized razor blade, and add to hot wort. I used to do that before I bought a chiller and it works really well. It uses less water than a chiller also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Advice. Make an extract batch starting with 6 gallons of water. It teaches you how to work in all grain volumes.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #23
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Making ice in your freezer and adding to wort is not recommended. You can, however, freeze a gallon of bottled spring water from the store, sanitize the whole thing, then cut off the plastic with a sanitized razor blade, and add to hot wort. I used to do that before I bought a chiller and it works really well. It uses less water than a chiller also.
I put my water in airtight ziploc containers wich have been sanitized beforehand, I'm not recommending using the dirty, smelly ice cube trays here

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #24
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2652 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

The answer to your question is YES, it's that easy.

As this thread expands, a lot of the minutia in making better beer will come up. But if you can get the mash to a temp between 150 and 160, and leave it there for an hour, you've done it.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #25
2centswort
Recipes 

I would also invest the $20 in a brewing software like Beersmith. It takes the guesswork out of calculating your strike temperature and schedules your brew day so you don't miss anything in your brew process. I started all grain brewing back in the spring using the batch sparge method and a 52 quart Coleman Extreme with a homemade CPVC manifold and I'm consistently hitting 75-80% efficiency.

I'm right down the road from you in St. John btw.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Another easy option might be the 'brew in a bag' method. Even less difficulty and expense.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
portalgod
Recipes 

+1 on the BIAB and variants. I started doing my all grains via Deathbrewer's Stovetop AG method. Works great and I didn't need a bunch of new gear to try it out. One day I might get a proper mash tun, but I can do it on my stove with a $5 investment in a grainbag. I had all the rest of the stuff from my extract brews.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 PM   #28
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

check out dennybrew.com. The best one page AG discription you'll find. With pics.

If you think you'll keep doing it, spring for a 10gal beverage cooler, like the one they dump on Mike Ditka. A whole lot of folks use them, but a rectangular is also standard fare.
Get a 32qt min turkey fryer for the big^ss pot and the propane burner. But wait til after Thanksgiving for good deal purposes. I paid $40 on craigslist last year.

Don't be discouraged.

Quick Reply