Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
sportscrazed2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about all grain

I watched a youtube video on all grain brewing and from my understanding you are basically submerging your grains in warm water then draining the liquid off and boiling it and adding hops just like an extract brew. is this really all there is too it? the only thing extra i would really need is a cooler with some tubing that allows me to get the wort off of the grains?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
jmick
Recipes 

yep, that's about it.

If you have been doing full boil extract batches - going all grain is as simple as making/ buying a MLT (mash/lauter tun)

Upcoming Brews: IIPA, SMaSH, Black IPA

Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's true that the theory is simple, but there are a few things that become very important.

Building your mash tun (where you are soaking the grain) can be simple but stick to a plan for your first one.

The main thing is that you need to be spot on for your mash temp, a miscalculation of five degrees can really screw with your beer.

Find yourself a nice calculator and do a simple single infusion mash with a fly sparge in a cooler and you should be good.

HomeBrewTalk.com makes research crazy easy. Spend a couple hours reading everything you can, and you won't go wrong.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah basically. You need to hit the right temperatures as well as the right grist to water ratio. There are also different ways to sparge: batch or fly. But yeah it's really not all that complicated, just read up a bit and you'll be good to go. You don't even have to use a cooler, I started with the Zapap (Papazian) lauter tun and I liked it so much I'm still using it after almost 40 batches of all grain. check it out:

http://www.mainebrews.com/news/2009/...lauter-system/

I cover mine with my kettle lid and some old blankets too keep the mash temp consistent. The most I ever lose in temp is 1 degree f.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's a bit more complicated than your description, but not much.
You don't just submerge the grains in warm water. You need to calculate the volume and temperature of the water correctly to achieve your mash temperature after adding the grains. You then need to stir the mash to get rid of any dough balls, and then wait (typically for about 60 minutes). Then you need to sparge (i.e. rinse the sugars out of the grain) rather than just draining the liquid.
The biggest difference is that with extract brews, you can do a small boil, and top off with water. With All Grain, you will need to do a full boil, which requires either a largish kettle (at least 7.5g for a 5g brew), and enough oomph in you heat source to bring about 6.5g to a rolling boil. This is often not possible if you boil on the kitchen stove, but is trivial if you have a turkey fryer and can brew outside.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's pretty much like making a big bowl of oatmeal at a certain temperature.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Allright think I will give it a go over the summer. someone told me that one of those coolers cost $175 is that about right? seems high

Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You can buy a cooler and do the plumbing yourself for much less than that, but if you want no hassle pre-made they're expensive.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

depends how much cheaper are we looking at? i'm sure i could manage to build one myself if the price was significantly cheaper

Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

About $4 here...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ten-...ersion-125108/

had the braid, salvaged the cooler, bought the tubing if I remember...$175 for a cooler...hah. A very simple cheap cooler can work very well, don't think for a minute that you NEED a schmancy cooler set up.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply