Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Question about adjusting recipes to match your efficiency...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
dsuarez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about adjusting recipes to match your efficiency...

I have a question about adjusting grain bills. Most of the recipes you see out there are assuming either a 75 or 70% mash efficiency.

I batch sparge and usually get 64% efficiency. How do I adjust the grain amounts to get the same target gravity as some of these recipes. Just add to the base malts, or up the amount of some of the specialty malts too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just go by percentages for all the grains. 20% is 20% regardless of the weight...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I normally just bump the base malt to get where I want to be, but I watch the percentages of the specialty malts to make sure they don't get too out of whack from the original recipe. Unless your efficiency is drastically different from the efficiency the recipe was written for, the percentages of the specialty malts won't change that much. Its an art, really. You have to use your beer-sense when adapting recipes to your system.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I scale the recipes using beer smith. that will adjust all of the malts, not just the base.

However, don't walk into LHBS and ask for 1.28 pounds of crystal 60. You may have to round a bit.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here's what i do. I scale up using Promash first. This obviously does the specialty grains too. It works for many beers but not for all. If you are using grains like black patent, roasted barley or similar, you should back them off and add base. This is an area I have some experience in since I frequently make beers with intentionally low efficiency.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
evandam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog View Post
Here's what i do. I scale up using Promash first. This obviously does the specialty grains too. It works for many beers but not for all. If you are using grains like black patent, roasted barley or similar, you should back them off and add base. This is an area I have some experience in since I frequently make beers with intentionally low efficiency.
Why intentionally shoot for a lower efficiency? What is the advantage there? Just curious.

Primary 1 - Black Widow Dry Stout
Primary 2 - Black Widow Dry Stout
Secondary 1 - Apfelwein
Secondary 2 - Apfelwein
Keg 1 - Adverse Yaw House Pale Ale (Notty)
Keg 2 - Adverse Yaw House Pale Ale (S-05)
Keg 3 - NB #8
Keg 4 - Centennial Blonde
On Deck - Faversham Best Bitter (Orig Recipe)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandam View Post
Why intentionally shoot for a lower efficiency? What is the advantage there? Just curious.
It's not that I WANT lower efficiency, but many of my sessions are no-sparge mashes. I plug in about 58% efficiency typically for a no-sparge.

KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Quick Reply