Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Quality of the grind from online HBS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
mkling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Quality of the grind from online HBS

I just got my first online order from MoreBeer and I am disappointed to say the least with the grind. To me, it looks like between 1/3 and 1/2 the kernels are still whole. I've always used my LHBS, but they are over an hour away and their prices have always seemed a bit stiff, so I thought I'd try MoreBeer, but I'm not sure it's worth the driving convenience and cost savings if I get a crappy grind and can't get the good stuff out of my grain. The specialty malts are ground better than the base malt, but I need to get the goodness out of the base malts. At least my LHBS always gave a great grind.

Have others had this trouble with MoreBeer? Do any of the others do better?

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I once tried grains from MoreBeer, and also Northern Brewer. Both grinds were terrible and produced efficiency a full 10% below what I was getting with LHBS crushed grains. It seems to be a pretty common complaint about crushed grain from online vendors.

I've since invested in a Barley Crusher and don't have to worry about that anymore.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have also heard a lot about getting a terrible crush from on line vendors. I would say with a fair amount of confidence that there are very few vendors that would purposely give a customer poorly crushed grains. It is just poor customer service to purposely give a customer crushed grains that are not properly crushed. Anyone that has been brewing all grain for a while knows the range of efficiency to expect from their brewery and would quickly figure out that the crush is to blame. That would kill repeat business.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse View Post
I have also heard a lot about getting a terrible crush from on line vendors. I would say with a fair amount of confidence that there are very few vendors that would purposely give a customer poorly crushed grains. It is just poor customer service to purposely give a customer crushed grains that are not properly crushed. Anyone that has been brewing all grain for a while knows the range of efficiency to expect from their brewery and would quickly figure out that the crush is to blame. That would kill repeat business.

See, my theory is that you guys are trying to get us to buy either more grain or a grain mill....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Barring buying your own grain mill, you should find a different source. I have always gotten at least 75% efficiency (great crush) with Austin Homebrew, their service is great and shipping is a fixed cost. * I am in no way affiliated with Austin Homebrew *

Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
See, my theory is that you guys are trying to get us to buy either more grain or a grain mill....
I can see that possibly happening, but after it happened 1 time it got put on a forum, and now can be blasted be everyone. It is quite possible that the OP will never buy from them again, which is not worth a couple of extra pounds of grain ($5 additional dollars in revenue).

I can tell you that all of our grains are crushed using a Barley Crusher, and then visually inspected before being packaged to ship. We use what we sell. It takes longer than some other mills, but it gives a great crush, and we can stand by the quality of our crush, and the mills that we sell. Before you ask we use the default gap setting which has received a lot of positive comments on HBT.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You know I was being sarcastic, right?

You know what I'm interested in? You're using the BC in a commercial setting; I'd be interested to hear how well it holds up for you over a long period of time. I love my BC, but obviously it doesn't get used nearly as much as yours will. Be interesting to hear if it holds up well for you, since I think some of its competitors have claimed that it's not as robust as theirs.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
You know I was being sarcastic, right?

You know what I'm interested in? You're using the BC in a commercial setting; I'd be interested to hear how well it holds up for you over a long period of time. I love my BC, but obviously it doesn't get used nearly as much as yours will. Be interesting to hear if it holds up well for you, since I think some of its competitors have claimed that it's not as robust as theirs.
Bird you are so respected that I can see a newb thinking that is the case.

Now that is sarcasm.

I will let you know how it holds up over the long haul. Really do not think I will have any issues beyond the normal maintenance.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Buy a mill, buy some grain and get busy brewin!

$31 to your door!

NEW Premium Cast Iron Corn Grinder Wheat Grain Nut Mill - eBay (item 220326636541 end time Dec-18-08 16:00:22 PST)

a bit more $$ at $42

High Hopper CAST IRON GRAIN CORN Cereal Mill Grinder - eBay (item 120333528705 end time Dec-13-08 09:59:31 PST)

Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you brew a lot then go for a 2 roller mill as they do a better job of not making too much flour in the grist and they are faster and a more uniform crush too.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply