Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Quaker Quick Barley = Flaked Barley?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
hamiltont
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Quaker Quick Barley = Flaked Barley?

Has anyone ever use Quaker Quick Barley in place of Flaked Barley? If so, how did you prepare it & how did it turn out? Cheers and Happy Brewing!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This? Product: More Products from Quaker - Specialty Items, Quick Barley | QuakerOats.com

Never used it but it's not flaked, I would imagine it needs to go through a cereal mash first. The starches in flaked barley and oats are already gelatinized by the steaming and rolling process.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's sort of what I was wondering. In this link About.com they reference "quick barley" as pearl barley that has been steamed and dried, just not rolled. So I was wondering if it was the same/similar except for the rolling part? Confusing... Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Quick Reply