The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pvc faucet on cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Born Brewing Co.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default pvc faucet on cooler

The spickets I have put together on my igloo coolers are 1/2in. pvc ball valves from Lowes. I'm pretty sure they aren't food grade. However, I did clean them and sanitize them. Will they be alright? I have heard various views that the pvc will emit gases into the wort or the pvc will melt. What do you folks use? I brought my cooler in with me to Lowes, but didn't get a real good fit using brass. I am about 2 weeks out from doing my first all grain brew. I trying to think everything through, and not slop together the operation. Thanks for the help!!

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
The spickets I have put together on my igloo coolers are 1/2in. pvc ball valves from Lowes. I'm pretty sure they aren't food grade. However, I did clean them and sanitize them. Will they be alright? I have heard various views that the pvc will emit gases into the wort or the pvc will melt. What do you folks use? I brought my cooler in with me to Lowes, but didn't get a real good fit using brass. I am about 2 weeks out from doing my first all grain brew. I trying to think everything through, and not slop together the operation. Thanks for the help!!
I use stainless cause its easy for me to get, but you can use pvc as long as it is high temp and if you are unsure boil it first, I believe I read somewhere you should boil it first....but not sure, I have seen many mash tuns with pvc headers. Just make a dry run heat some water up put it in your tun, drain it save a bit of the water and taste it when its cool to see if it carried over some weird taste. There is cold water pipe, hot water pipe, differant schedules of pipe. I believe hot water is cpvc hot water I believe its grey.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Hey bud....make sure it is CPVC. I believe regular PVC fittings are only heat rated to like 87 degrees before they do funky stuff. CPVC is usually located near the PVC piping and is much better (food grade, more heat resistant) for our applications. The stuff I just bought at Lowe's is cream colored.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

Cream colored is correct. That is the CPVC which is rated at higher temp. It still is not rated at boiling temp but definitely better than the normal PVC.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all. As I mentioned the pvc valves I had definitely were not cpvc or heat worthy. So after about an hour at Lowes opening small bags and checking connections I got all brass ball valves and barbed connectors for lines. All that is left to buy/build is wort chiller and sparge arm.

Happy Fathers Day!!!

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Thanks all. As I mentioned the pvc valves I had definitely were not cpvc or heat worthy. So after about an hour at Lowes opening small bags and checking connections I got all brass ball valves and barbed connectors for lines. All that is left to buy/build is wort chiller and sparge arm.

Happy Fathers Day!!!

One note on the brass valves as well--make sure to soak anything brass in a 2:1 solution of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (2 parts vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide) to rid the surface layer of lead. You'll only need to soak for about 5 minutes--you'll be able to tell its done when the solution begins to turn blue.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Last edited by Dude; 06-20-2005 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Once again, I spell like a ninny.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did not know that, thanks Orrelse.

Sure enough, I soaked brass in 2:1 (vinegar:hp) solution for about 7 minutes and a very blue color formed around fittings. I rinsed them off and assembled back on liquor tank and mash tun.

Last edited by Born Brewing Co.; 06-20-2005 at 02:34 AM.

Quick Reply