Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To put hops in a bag or not, that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geer537 View Post
I have been using 5 gl paint Strainer bags with good success for about 6 months.
yup... and they are reusable

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I usually use whole hops, and have never found it necessary (with whole hops) to use a hop bag. My current setup has a false bottom in the kettle, and the hops on the false bottom make a wonderful filter for the break material.
I have used hop bags 3 times (each time with pellet hops). The first time was a disaster because the bags were too small, but a hop tea recovered that brew. The second two times, I used a 5g paint strainer bag. It didn't look like there was much of a boil going on inside the bag, but the results were fine. Perhaps I dropped a few IBU's but it wasn't noticeable.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
jyda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In my experience, hops in the kettle wether begged or not has no impact on the clarity of the final product. They settle out during fermentation.

So to answer the original question, bag or not bag, the answer is yes(as it pertains to clarity).

Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
xenophobe2020
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on 5gal paint strainer bag. I brew on a stovetop & just use a binder clip on the rim of the pot to keep the top of the bag above the boil, just take the binder clip off & throw the hops in the bag.

relax, have a home brew.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #15
Snowhere
Recipes 

I have been using just one, reusable bag for many, many years. I have a long enough string on it that I tie it to the pot handle. This allows me to pull it out of the wort and add more hops multiple times during the boil. After I am done, I boil the bag in water to remove some of the stain and to sterilize it again. Then I just dunk it in starsan if I remember, but many times I just drop it into the wort to self sterilize. I have a spare bag now, but I have not used it yet as my original bag is not quite fallen apart yet.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #16
cmuench
Recipes 

I just built a hop spider and used it for the first time last weekend on an IPA. It seemed to work pretty well but obviously I haven't tasted the final product yet.

I've dry hooped in a corney using those 5 gal paint strainer bags. It worked very well for me so I'm planning to try it again with this batch.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

FWIW-I use 1 gl. paint strainer bags in the keg for dry hopping. (and 5 gl. bags in the boil)

-d

Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Does anyone use a hop back? I know it's common practice in commercial breweries, and I heard of a handful of homebrewers who use them and love them.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
hiphopopotamus
Recipes 

I also use the 5 gal paint strainer bags. They fit perfectly with the elastic band over the rim of my boil kettle. That way my hops can swim about unrestricted in the boil. I just make sure to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle and weighted with some extra pieces of SS hardware to keep it from floating up to the top.

If you can't do it with apathy, why bother?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #20
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have used the 5 gallon and 1 gallon strainer (paint bags) for a while now. Always with pellet hops and have had no issues. Today I am using my home grown Cascade, so it will be the first time using leaf or whole hops in the bag.

I made up the PVC fitting with stainless rods to hold the bag in the pot while boiling.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Quick Reply