Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To put hops in a bag or not, that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
ImperialStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default To put hops in a bag or not, that is the question

Prefer to put hops in a bag to contain them and help with making clear beer. Problem is adding hops at different times uses up a lot of bags. Currently pay $0.70 a bag at LHBS.

Thinking of making a holder for the hop bag I saw here that keeps the bag open above the water line so you can add hops when needed. What has been your experience with one of these?

Does putting hops in a bag significantly cut down on hop utiltization? I think not.

Has anyone used the reusable Rite Brew muslin grain/hop bags sold on Amazon? They come in 5 packs of 3"x5", 5"x7" and 6"x10" for $2-3.

Also read here about making hop bags from panty hose. Anyone else tried this?

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How about buying three SS tea balls? Lots of people use these:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=active&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=stainles s+steel+mesh+ball&pbx=1&oq=stainless+steel+mesh+ba ll&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2232l2390l3l2569 l2l2l0l0l0l0l149l288l0.2l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw .&fp=70cacc96a2d1817&biw=1024&bih=579

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
How about buying three SS tea balls? Lots of people use these:
Not for the boil, dryhopping only.

_

Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hop spider works well as long as the bag is large enough to let the hops move around freely. I've not noticed any loss of "hop" from using bags. For pellet hops I use filter bags from Duda Diesel and for leaf hops I use larger mesh nylon bags from LHBS.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

as long as you don't pack them too full you shouldn't notice much difference in utilization.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 502

Get reusable hop bags.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I use panty hose. I got a bunch of unused packs of 'em from a thrift store. I bag up my whole hops in the boil with lots of extra room in the bag so the hops can flow a bit more freely. Works great.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 09-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have been using 5 gl paint Strainer bags with good success for about 6 months.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the good input. Going to make a hop spider like lanvp posted back in '09. It hangs from the side allowing wort to be stirred. Will get the reusable hop bags from Amazon for dry hopping.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
squirrelly
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have always just dumped my pellet hops directly into my boil kettle with great results. Wort clarity has never really been an issue for me as I constantly recirculate the wort with a RIMS system during the mash. I also usually do a 6 week primary fermentation, and 12 week conditioning to alleviate a lot of the cloudiness. Most of the wort clarity issues come from chill haze anyway which are proteins that can be dealt with by doing proper mash schedules, sparges, and cold crashing the beer. I usually use a plate filter if the finished beer needs further clarity.

As for the mess, I have a B3 sculpture which has a 1" ball valve on the boil kettle. I have never had clogging issues while pumping wort into the fermenters.

I know a lot of people who use homegrown fresh hops or whole hops, and like the filter bed the hops provide in the bottom of the kettle. I also know a lot of brewers who use muslin bags with much success as well. I think it really comes down to personal preference.

Lukehenslick@Facebook.com. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

Quick Reply