Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Purpose of a beta-glucan rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
mccann51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Purpose of a beta-glucan rest?

I've been starting to brew with rye more and I was wondering the exact purpose of a beta-glucan rest. I brew in a bag (BIAB), and I've done beta-glucan rests for a few rye brews, and not done it for a few others. Even when I don't do it, I'm still able to move the grain around in the bag, so mashing is not an issue.

My question: is a beta-glucan rest ONLY to avoid lautering issues in traditional all-grain brewing, or do beta-glucans (or lack thereof) come into play in the finished, fermented beer? Do the yeast utilize beta-glucans, does it affect body, or does it all simply precipitate out during ferment?

My brewing technique at this time is still too inconsistent for me to answer this myself, unfortunately.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Gnarlybarley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did a quick look at "How to Brew" and it seems like yes, a beta-glucanse rest is only to ease lautering difficulties.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Part of this question should be how well modified your rye is. If it's well modified, then yes lautering is the main reason. For less modified rye, a protein rest is necessary.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Pro-brewers are very picky about beta-glucans since those compounds adversely affect clarity. Excessive levels do not precipitate and they stay in the beer. If brewing a Rye beer, a level of haze is a given and would not be a detriment. If brewing an otherwise clear beer style with a dose of rye, then clarity may be more of a concern. A beta rest may be necessary in that case.

The beta-glucans do effect the lauterability of the mash along with some other compounds particular to Rye. If you can adequately lauter the grist, no beta rest is needed.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

highgravitybacon Likes This 
Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have no reason to believe the rye malt is not fully modified, I don't have issues with mashing/lautering due BIAB, and I'm generally not a stickler for clarity.

Do high amounts of beta-glucans affect the flavor or body of the beer? I generally associate a certain thickness with rye beers, but I don't know if this is due to beta-glucans or perhaps proteins, or perhaps just the examples I've had of rye beers.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Beta-glucans are big body builders. They are a great way to add viscosity to the wort and subsequent beer, excepting for the clarity issue. I know of several highly accomplished brewers that add a few percent of a grain like unmalted barley, wheat, rye or oats to boost body and mouthfeel.

Unmalted barley has the highest beta-glucan content of brewing grains including oats, rye, and wheat. The thing with rye and wheat is that those grains tend to make up larger percentages of the total grist than unmalted barley. Its interesting to note that when barley is malted, its beta-glucan is reduced to about one-tenth of the raw grain. I haven't found a definitive answer as to if the other grains also undergo a large reduction in beta-glucan content when malted. But I assume those same enzymatic processes in malting effect those grain's beta-glucan content similarly.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you, that is the info I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, do beta-glucans also help with head retention? I know high protein content helps with body and head retention, and I'm wondering if body is positively correlated with head retention, or if it's just happenstance that protein increases both of these.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann51 View Post
Thank you, that is the info I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, do beta-glucans also help with head retention? I know high protein content helps with body and head retention, and I'm wondering if body is positively correlated with head retention, or if it's just happenstance that protein increases both of these.
The might help a little in a supporting role, but proteins are the big players as far as head is concerned. The do however increase body.

Another benefit of a beta-glucan (aka fiber/cellulose) rest is in less modified/unmalted grains, these compounds provide a lot of structure to the cells, and slow done the starch conversion process. It is kinda like the starches being held in jail, with the beta-glucans being the bars. Break the bars down and it is much easier for the enzymes to attack the starch.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply