New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > pumpkin, maple, and spices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
enohcs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts

Default pumpkin, maple, and spices

I'm interested in taking one of my english style brown ales and dressing it up for the season. I'd like to use the key ingredients in my mothers pumpkin pie: pumpkin, maple syrup, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. I'm thinking the best way to capture all the flavors is to add the spices directly to the mash at mash in, add the maple syrup at flame out (or secondary??? thoughts???), and add the pumpkin puree to the secondary.
I've not used any of these ingredients before, I'd certainly like to hear people's experiences with them...especially with the spices, and amounts used...and where people have been most successful using maple syrup.

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would add the spices to the boil and the pumpkin to the mash as in the recipe below:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/
I made a pumpkin beer and wasn't a huge fan, but others were. If I were to do one again, I would make a smaller batch, like 3 gallons or so.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
JoeBuch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I add my spices at 15 min. and my maple syrup in secondary

maple syrup in the boil will loose a lot of the flavor. i like to mash high to ensure that i still have a full bodied beer

Quick Reply