The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pumpkin Batch Prep. Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I almost bought sweet potatos when I picked up the pumpkin for my beer... that is what I use for my pumpkin pie. I think it has a more pronounced flavor.

But I just bought canned pumpkin... sorry, canned squash product from the same family as pumpkin but slightly different so we should all probably boycott Libbys...

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
... sorry, canned squash product from the same family as pumpkin but slightly different so we should all probably boycott Libbys...
I agree with what you guys are saying - tomato, tomato (i guess that doesn't translate well in typing). I know i was splitting hairs, but my original point was that whatever the hell you mash - pumpkin, pseudo-pumpkin, sweek potatoes (which i almost did cuz i couldn't find the pumpkin), etc. - they're all similiar enough that the final product might not produce a discernable difference.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The consensus seems to be that the pumpkin is adding color and mouthfeel.

Perhaps it is carry the spices to the tongue as well... but that is my own weird thought. I am convincing myself it is necessary.

I decided to put out a stout today with a friend. I may do the pumpkin tomorrow.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, I used the link there back on page one and I think i"m going to move my ball valve and filter to a pumpkin for the mash. I will put a bit of the carved out pumkpin in there for the mash and then put it all back in, but I'll ferment it in my primary and secondary fermenters. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Cheers.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #15
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did my first pumpkin beer last year and it turned out awesome. I used fresh pumpkin. I cut 4.5 pounds of pumpkin up and baked it until it was mush then i put it in the boil. There was a ton of trub from all the pumpkin but you could taste the pumpkin (unlike most "pumpkin" beers). During fermentation it all settled out to the bottom. You lose a little beer but it was well worth it. It came out better then i had expected and to this day its one of my best brews. Was like a piece of pumpkin pie in every glass which is exactly what i was going for. Ill be more then happy to post the recipe if you want.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #16
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavisii View Post
Ill be more then happy to post the recipe if you want.
Please do!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

11lbs 2 row
8oz munich
8oz aromatic
8oz biscuit
8oz dextrin
4.5 pumkin baked then pureed added to boil
pumkin pie spice (added to the boil)
.5 tettnanger 4.0aa 30 min
1 oz willamette 5.2aa 30min
wyeast 1056 american ale

Like i said. This is one of the best brews i have made. Had pumpkin pie flavor with an awesome mouthfeel of a thicker super malty beer. Just plain rocked if you ask me

Last edited by tdavisii; 09-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavisii View Post
I did my first pumpkin beer last year and it turned out awesome. I used fresh pumpkin. I cut 4.5 pounds of pumpkin up and baked it until it was mush then i put it in the boil. There was a ton of trub from all the pumpkin but you could taste the pumpkin (unlike most "pumpkin" beers). During fermentation it all settled out to the bottom. You lose a little beer but it was well worth it. It came out better then i had expected and to this day its one of my best brews. Was like a piece of pumpkin pie in every glass which is exactly what i was going for. Ill be more then happy to post the recipe if you want.
Sounds good. I've grown my own pumpkins this year for the brew. I'd love to have a look at your recipe.

Given the poor results reported on fermenting in a pumpkin I may just do the mash in the pumpkin, I don't know if it would stand up to the boil (I use electric elements in the kegs). I may ferment a 1 gal batch of it in a smaller pumpkin, I'd hate to loose the whole thing.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I posted the recipe above. I didnt feel the need to ferment in a actual pumpkin due to the mess, chance for infection, bugs, and any other atrocity that i would think could come from fermenting in a plant With four and a half pounds of pumpkin puree in it though the flavor came through.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
Sonnyjim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the recipe Tdavisii. I have a recipe very similar to this one, it seems that a lot of pumpking recipes are very similar within an ingredient or two. I won't be fermenting in a pumpkin but I think I'll do my mash in a nice big pumkin with the baked pumkin(not too much) to make it the perfect brew. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Quick Reply