The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
dispater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumpkin Ale

Hello everyone.
I haven't been on here in awhile so I thought I would give a quick up date. I recently moved to All Grain!! I have three all grain batches on the go. First one was just a basic ale. Turned out good. Had a metallic taste at first but faded with time. Second one is an IPA which will be really good in another week or two. Third is a Cherry Stout. Smelled awesome when I transferd to the secondary.
Now about the tile of this post. I am currently in the process of making a Pumpkin Ale. Just wondered if anyone has made one before and how it turned out? Here is the recipe I used.

9lbs 11.6oz of 2 row
2lbs 6.9oz of Crystal 60
1lbs 3.5oz of Amber Malt (Biscuit)
9.7oz Flaked Wheat
2.39L of Pumpkin (Canned Pumpkin 796ml)

1.2oz East Kent Goldings 60.0 min
.55 tsb Clove
.55 tsb Nutmeg
1.1 tsb Cinnamon
1.1 tsb Allspice

this is for 6.08 Gal. (23L)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
dynobyte
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've made a pumpkin ale a couple of times. In addition to the spices you listed I've added a few slices of fresh ginger. I have also used canned pumpkin each time vs real pumpkin. Both times it has turned out very well...probably the fan favorite of my yearly brews.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

My pumpkin ale is still in primary right now and still has about a week or so to go, maybe two, but a gravity reading last week was very promising. The base style was APA, which may have been a bold choice, but the finishing hops played really well with the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. By the time Halloween rolls around the flavors should meld together a bit more and be quite quaffable.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
dispater
Recipes 

Ok well I may have a problem.
I didn't yeild as much as I wanted from the mash. I was looking to get about 24 to 26 liters. I ended up with about 20L after boiling I have about 18-19L. Also I broke my Hydrometer..... second one .... darn things roll too much. So now I have no clue about my gravity but I believe im off because everything was calculated by beer smith. So ..... What would you do? I have half a bottle of maple syrup that I think would go nice but when would I add it? Secondary?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
dispater
Recipes 

I also have a bunch of dextrose. What if I dissolved a bit in water, to top up to 23L 6.08Gal, then add some of the maple syrup in the secondary?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

I wouldn't mess with it, honestly. The likelihood is that you have the right gravity, just not as much of it because of trub/chiller/pumpkin losses. Just let it go and see what you get. Taste it in a couple weeks, see how it tastes and then base your next actions off that sample. No sense messing with it if it's what you wanted in the first place.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
dispater
Recipes 

But I plan on topping it off to 23L. So that would change the gravity would it not? Or am I being greedy. Should I just go with what I got?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #8
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

I've always been of the opinion that I'd rather have less of the beer I intended to brew than more of a sub-par beer. Just my opinion, though.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
dispater
Recipes 

I just couldn't do it. There was about 18L. So I topped it off to 23L and added some dextrose. I will post the results in about a month. I plan on doing primary for two weeks then secondary for 2 weeks then straight to the keg. I will update on my cherry stout by then as well, one more week in secondary then 2-3 weeks in bottles. I may regret having some of my home-brew while brewing..... improv works better for those who are trained in the subject.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
dispater
Recipes 

Just put it in the keg tonight. Will update on results Friday or Sat. Cherry stout is bottled. Tried one only after a week and it tasted great but very little cherry flavor. I added cherry puree straight to the primary if anyone was wondering. Maybe next time I will try secondary. But overall its a great stout.

Quick Reply