Pumping the Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelz1

Reaction score
I have a question or two here. The first is I am tired of siphoning from one container to another plus I am going to try to build a RIMS system so I want a pump to integrate in to it when I get it build it is there a certain type of pump that I have to use or can I use any kind of pump?

The second is a all grain question. On specialty grains can I put them into the mash with the other grains or do I have to steep them like I have been doing? I just think that if I could just put them in all together it wouldn't take as long but just wanted some input before I did it.

Thanks Shane

You will want a pump that is food grade and rated for temperatures up to boiling for you RIMs system. Chugger and March pumps are both common options among brewers.

When doing all grain you put all of your grains together in the mash. No need to separate out specialty grains.

You will want a pump that is food grade and rated for temperatures up to boiling for you RIMs system. Chugger and March pumps are both common options among brewers.

When doing all grain you put all of your grains together in the mash. No need to separate out specialty grains.

Thanks for the reply so it has to be food grade then? Because I have a 1/4 horse water pump that will pump 5gal a minute I was thinking if I could use it, all I would have to do is choke down the flow a little.

On the grains that is what I thought but a friend of mine that I am trying to get into brewing said he read in a book that you have to steep the specialty grains separately to achieve proper taste and flavor from the grains. I said that we would try it on another batch of beer that I have made before to test the taste difference.

Back