Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pumping the Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Rebelz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pumping the Wort

I have a question or two here. The first is I am tired of siphoning from one container to another plus I am going to try to build a RIMS system so I want a pump to integrate in to it when I get it build it is there a certain type of pump that I have to use or can I use any kind of pump?

The second is a all grain question. On specialty grains can I put them into the mash with the other grains or do I have to steep them like I have been doing? I just think that if I could just put them in all together it wouldn't take as long but just wanted some input before I did it.

Thanks Shane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
S0meB0dy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will want a pump that is food grade and rated for temperatures up to boiling for you RIMs system. Chugger and March pumps are both common options among brewers.

When doing all grain you put all of your grains together in the mash. No need to separate out specialty grains.

Fermenting: APA
Up Next: Nutbrown

Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Rebelz1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0meB0dy View Post
You will want a pump that is food grade and rated for temperatures up to boiling for you RIMs system. Chugger and March pumps are both common options among brewers.

When doing all grain you put all of your grains together in the mash. No need to separate out specialty grains.
Thanks for the reply so it has to be food grade then? Because I have a 1/4 horse water pump that will pump 5gal a minute I was thinking if I could use it, all I would have to do is choke down the flow a little.

On the grains that is what I thought but a friend of mine that I am trying to get into brewing said he read in a book that you have to steep the specialty grains separately to achieve proper taste and flavor from the grains. I said that we would try it on another batch of beer that I have made before to test the taste difference.

Quick Reply