New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pump recirc without a grant vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
duckredbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Default Pump recirc without a grant vessel

I have always just recirculated using a small bucket, pouring the runnings back on top of the grain bed. Last brew I tried using the pump straight from the mash tun valve. I couldn't get the lines to fill up to prime the pump. What do you guys do? Use a grant? Pre prime the lines?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

First, the pump has to be below the Mash Tun outlet. And you have to arrange the ports so that the pump will fill up completely, otherwise you will cavitate the pump.

Lastly, you have to have a valve on the OUT side of the pump so you can choke the output. Otherwise the pump will draw too hard and starve itself due to the grain bed restricting the flow. Just open the valve a little to get it flowing. Once you have a circuit going, you can adjust the flow to your liking, or to the rate at which the grain will allow.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
duckredbeard
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I had all of that. I was just not able to work out a large air bubble from the pump inlet hose. Next time i will try priming the pump and lines and starting slow. I have a ball valve on the output of both of my pumps.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Do you have a dip tube in the mash? I have one in my kettle, and the first prime is always a pain because of the uphill travel of the dip tube holding a pocket of air. I generally blow on the pump out fitting, and it siphons the wort back through the line.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckredbeard View Post
I had all of that. I was just not able to work out a large air bubble from the pump inlet hose. Next time i will try priming the pump and lines and starting slow. I have a ball valve on the output of both of my pumps.
I use 5/8" (!) silicon hose from the mash tun's valve to the pump, and I have to pinch the hose a few times to release the air bubbles from the input side of the pump. I also have a ball valve on the output side of the pump, this prevents from pulling too much on the input side and also prevents a stuck mash.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply