Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pump logistics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
kanzimonson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Default Pump logistics

I'm going to be building a stand soon, and haven't decided if I want to do three-tier gravity fed, or two-tier with a pump.

I'm leaning towards getting the pump because I'd like to be able to recirculate my mash and use a whirlpool chiller, but I've never used a pump so I'm unfamiliar with some of the finer details.

-Will it be annoying to switch the lines around with each step of brewing?
-I've seen how the lines connect to the pump, but how do they connect to a ball valve on a kettle? And what do I have on the end of the outlet line when it's transferring from MLT to BK?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would recommend some kind of quick-disconnects. Then you can easily switch between hoses. There is a recent thread in the equipment section talking about the different options.

I recommend stainless steel connections, but if you are on a budget brass will work.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/qd-options-168580/

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
LeeF
Recipes 

This may end up getting edited b/c I've never tried to add a link to a post.

This thread, stainless-steel-quick-disconnects talks about and gives the part number for McMaster Carr quick disconnects. All valves, pump inlet and pump outlet have the same QD and all tubing has the mating piece on both ends. I actually have one tube with only one end I use to connect to the boil kettle and use gravity to flow into my carboy once I've chilled.

Fixed it.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I'm going to be building a stand soon, and haven't decided if I want to do three-tier gravity fed, or two-tier with a pump.

I'm leaning towards getting the pump because I'd like to be able to recirculate my mash and use a whirlpool chiller, but I've never used a pump so I'm unfamiliar with some of the finer details.

-Will it be annoying to switch the lines around with each step of brewing?
-I've seen how the lines connect to the pump, but how do they connect to a ball valve on a kettle? And what do I have on the end of the outlet line when it's transferring from MLT to BK?
In February I built a three-tier gravity system. I have enjoyed it (went from one burner and a cooler MLT and a single Pot, to three burners, three pots).

That said, I just ordered a pump and a bunch of Polysulfone disconnects to convert to a direct-fired RIMS. I plan to chop down my three tier and change it to a two-tier....after 4 months

If I did it again, I'd have just ordered the pump and did it two-tier to begin with.
2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Quick Reply