Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > PSA: Calibrate your refractometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PSA: Calibrate your refractometer

So I brewed a pale ale this week. I've used this recipe about four times. Got the same efficiency every time.

I calibrated my refractometer after the last brew session, and assumed that it would still be calibrated two weeks later. I took a refractometer reading after my first runnings, and it was a little low. I took another reading preboil and I was 6 points low. I took another reading. Same thing.

I accepted my fate and measured out some DME before I started the boil. Threw in the DME and followed the recipe through the boil.

I finished cooling and took a hydrometer sample.

It was 6 points high.

I grabbed some distilled water and sure enough, the refractometer was blue almost all the way to the bottom of the viewer.

I will be calibrating my refractometer before every brew day from now on. And every time that I am getting an unexpected reading.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just assumed it was common practice to do this. It takes about 10 extra seconds. Of course I do this and neglect other things on my brew day, like making sure my valve is closed before I add water to my mash tun.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
EricCSU
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchunk View Post
I just assumed it was common practice to do this. It takes about 10 extra seconds. Of course I do this and neglect other things on my brew day, like making sure my valve is closed before I add water to my mash tun.
You are correct, it should be common practice.

Just sharing a mistake so that others don't make the same one.

Eric

Hop Substitution Chart

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

That's weird. I calibrate mine every month or so and it is never off by more than a tenth of a degree brix, not any wider than the thickness of the lines on the scale.

To be off 12 points or 3 brix I would think your refractometer is of different manufacture than mine or somebody has been playing with the knob.

Now you can never calibrate your instruments too much, I'm not saying that, but I am surprised to here that your refractometer got that far off that fast.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Each time I have recaled mine it was damn close to zero. Makes me want to check it right now since it's sitting 3 feet from me.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
EricCSU
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
That's weird. I calibrate mine every month or so and it is never off by more than a tenth of a degree brix, not any wider than the thickness of the lines on the scale.

To be off 12 points or 3 brix I would think your refractometer is of different manufacture than mine or somebody has been playing with the knob.

Now you can never calibrate your instruments too much, I'm not saying that, but I am surprised to here that your refractometer got that far off that fast.
Trust me, no one was more surprised than me. I have checked it again since then and it was still at zero. Maybe it was just a fluke thing.

Eric

Hop Substitution Chart

Old 04-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I calibrated mine when I got it, but it didn't need calibration. I checked the calibration a few times over the next year, but it never was off. Once every 6 months or so, I check the reading against a hydrometer reading. They have always matched.
There is one possibility for your problems that I can think of. Was the refractometer at room temperature when you checked? If not, the ATC could screw up the reading.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I checked my refractometer when I used it for the first time and it was dead on. I now check it about once or twice a year and it has never required adjustment. I would think that they should hold calibration pretty well unless maybe it were dropped or was otherwise subjected to substantial shock. They are simple instruments and AFAIK, probably have only one moving part, that being the bi-metal spring mounted prism thingy. Not a whole lot to go wrong.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
bbone66
Recipes 

Quote:
Just sharing a mistake so that others don't make the same one.
Thanks a reminder is always good. I think outside temp changes can make a difference, I calibrated inside the house(70deg.) then checked it in the garage on brew day (55 deg) yep it was off. Also I have learned to wait at least 30 seconds after putting sample on it to let the temp adj. to the refractometer.

Where did time go?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 I think this is a good idea to do regularly. I keep a gallon of distilled water around and check it each brew day. It is typically at zero, but sometimes its a little off.

Quick Reply