Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are Protein Rests needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

There are modern "fully modified" malts that will benefit from a protein rest. I've seen batches of Dingemans Pilsner, Weyermann Pilsner, Briess 6-row & 2-row and Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise that benefited from a protein rest. Get the malt analysis sheet for the lot of malt you're using and if your total Protein is 12% or more and the soluble protein is less than 38%, a protein rest may help clarity. I usually shoot for 130-131F since the enzymes at the higher end of the temp range will break down the larger proteins that will cause haze and not the medium to smaller ones that help head formation and retention. It is not very often that a protein rest is necessary for clarity. Maltsters are very good at providing a quality product but its still a natural product that fluctuates.
I don't filter and prefer to have as clear a beer as possible with only the use of gelatin or biofine if necessary.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

I have ruined beers by doing a protein rest with well modified malt. No head and the body of a glass of water. After that experience many years ago, I did some research and decided that a protein rest is almost never needed.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I have ruined beers by doing a protein rest with well modified malt. No head and the body of a glass of water. After that experience many years ago, I did some research and decided that a protein rest is almost never needed.
Almost never is right. Out of the 97 batches I've brewed, only 8 required a protein rest to insure clarity. Not all 8 got one though.
Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Denny
Recipes 

The other thing I've found is that you should decide on a protein rest based on the particular bag of malt you use, not necessarily what the recipe says.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

VladOfTrub Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I agree with what already been said here. Protease rests are almost entirely un necessary, chill haze, or protein haze is only a visual defect. IMHO not that big of a deal unless your competing. Just about the only protein rests I do anymore is for anything I'm brewing with 6row, and adjuncts.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
I agree with what already been said here. Protease rests are almost entirely un necessary, chill haze, or protein haze is only a visual defect. IMHO not that big of a deal unless your competing. Just about the only protein rests I do anymore is for anything I'm brewing with 6row, and adjuncts.
And if you do have haze, you can drop it out by keeping the beer cold for a couple weeks.

www.dennybrew.com

patthebrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply