Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Protein rest for small amount of wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
goswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Protein rest for small amount of wheat

I'm planning on doing an APA and wanted to add .25 lb of wheat malt for a little head retention. I'm wondering if the protein rest is necessary for such a small amount of wheat? All the other grains are well modified so I'll be doing an single step infustion mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No. The wheat malt you are using is probably very well modified as well as the rest of your base malt. Unless you are using a high percentage of unmalted grain, there is no reason for a protein rest, IMO.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I would not bither with one for that amount of wheat malt. By the same token, I do not know if a mere quarter pound will do much for your head retention. For a typical APA grain bill, you probably will notice a slight change, though.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
goswell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
I would not bither with one for that amount of wheat malt. By the same token, I do not know if a mere quarter pound will do much for your head retention. For a typical APA grain bill, you probably will notice a slight change, though.

TL
I wasn't sure if that was enough either but I read that between 2 and 5 percent will do the trick.

Quick Reply