Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Protein Rest at 133 degrees for modified malts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Protein Rest at 133 degrees for modified malts?

I know under modified malts can benefit from a protein rest around 122 degrees, but I just read that modified malts can also benefit from a protein rest around 133 degrees. Apparently 133 degree rest is meant to increase body and head retention. Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4242 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
I know under modified malts can benefit from a protein rest around 122 degrees, but I just read that modified malts can also benefit from a protein rest around 133 degrees. Apparently 133 degree rest is meant to increase body and head retention. Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?
Yes, that's what I always do with well-modified malts if I'm doing a protein rest. I still make it short, but do the rest at 131-133 instead of in the 120s. It works great for me!

Of course, that's only if I'm doing that rest and unless I'm doing a decoction or using wheat, I still tend to do a single infusion.
BVilleggiante Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Yooper! You're always a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to try 133 for 20 min.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, that's what I always do with well-modified malts if I'm doing a protein rest. I still make it short, but do the rest at 131-133 instead of in the 120s. It works great for me!

Of course, that's only if I'm doing that rest and unless I'm doing a decoction or using wheat, I still tend to do a single infusion.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

When you do a 133 rest which is the upper limit for protein modification, you're working with the longer chained proteins and cutting them up into medium and short chains which are responsible for foam and head retention. The longer chains are also responsible for haze if your soluble to total protein ratio is too low. Look for the Kolbach index or S/T number on your malt analysis sheet. Also look for the total protein reported. If Kolbach or S/T are under 38% and/or total protein is above 12%, the malt can benefit from a protein rest. It doesn't take much time either, a 10 minute rest can make a difference.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So just to clarify if I was looking at total protein. Am I doing a protein rest if any one grain has a total protein 12% or over, or am I adding up the total protein for each grain in the grain bill and if that's over 12%, doing a protein rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
When you do a 133 rest which is the upper limit for protein modification, you're working with the longer chained proteins and cutting them up into medium and short chains which are responsible for foam and head retention. The longer chains are also responsible for haze if your soluble to total protein ratio is too low. Look for the Kolbach index or S/T number on your malt analysis sheet. Also look for the total protein reported. If Kolbach or S/T are under 38% and/or total protein is above 12%, the malt can benefit from a protein rest. It doesn't take much time either, a 10 minute rest can make a difference.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Add them up, do a weighted percentage. 12% is a guideline, not a rule.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply